Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro-E Skeleton Files -- anyone use them

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtboss

Geotechnical
May 23, 2001
US
I just received a Tar file of an assembly. I opened it and moved the resulting parts, drawings, and assemblies to a directory. When trying to open the final assembly I got an error message that it could not find the skeleton file. I have never used this feature and am not sure what the problem is.

I can see the skeleton file but can do nothing with it. Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the skeleton in the directory?
Is the skeleton part suppressed?
It should be the first assembled feature in the model tree.
Did you try opening hte skeleton part then your assembly?

We use a part file instead of the Pro/E skeleton type format. I have not had any problems such as yours.

A skeleton is a structure used in assemblies to control the parametrics and dependencies inside Pro/E. Think of the skeleton as a Christmas tree and the models as the ornaments. If you stack ornaments on a table, one on top of the other, then remove the bottom one the whole assembly falls apart. On the other hand if you assemble the oraments to the tree (or skeleton) and remove one of the base models the others will still remain on the tree. You could also wiggle the branches of the tree to provide movement in the assembly. Seletons are a must for good assembly management! However, with that said, the skel extension on these files is not picked up by some builds of intralink and is also build sensative between releases. For this reason we make our skeletons in standard part file format and assemble them in as the first model. Since you recieved this model from someone else chances are you have a build conflict, try opening without using Intralink and switch to the build of the provider. I hope this helps. If not repost and I'll try to help.

Thanks for the replys. I did not have the skeleton in the same directory at first. I did move it. I will try to open it first and see if it is suppressed.

I will have to try to use this and see how it works.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back