Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRO E / Solid Works translations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelambertson

Mechanical
Mar 10, 2001
US
I'm looking to upgrade to a new CAD package and my customers are approx 50/50 split between Pro E and Solid Works. Our files are relatively simple sheet metal parts with up to 50 pcs in an assembly including fasteners etc...I'm interested in translating from Pro-E to Solid Works and back to Pro-E. What are the limitations here? What can I expect to lose during the translations? What about Solid Works to Pro E and back to Solid Works? Any help on this subject would be appreciated.
Thanks -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had some nightmares trying to convert an assembly from solidworks to pro/e. I tried everything, the step files were half blown up about 30 times their size and scattered about, the iges files did not heal back into a solid. In pro/e 2001 there is a import sat translator but no export. I have had good luck importing sat's but there is still no way to export nicely.

Brian

I just tried the solidworks translater in version 2001 of solid works. It works really well on parts created with version 20 or earlier of PROE. 20i or later parts have been encrypted by PROE and can not be read into SW except as blobs ( you loose all feature creation information). The sales rep says that solid works will also bring in assemblies (with the same restrictions). Does anyone havre any more information this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back