Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pro/e WildFire 5.0 trail.txt files save location 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAREng

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2011
US
I have "pro/e wildfire 5.0" and I am trying to change the save location of the trail files so I can have them in a safer and more organized location. I have been reading some of the post that give vague directions using "config.pro" and "trail_dir", but I have not been able to successfully change the save location of the files. If there is a step by step procedure I can use or if I can get some help it would be greatly appreciated. I am using pro/e for the first time and I'm getting accustomed to the switch from SolidWorks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tools/Options
Type "trail_dir" in option box
Type 'your path' in value box or click Browse and locate the desired directory
Click the Saveas icon (double 3.5" disk icon)
It's likely already there, but navigate to the folder where your config.pro is located.
Click OK.

<tg>

Be sure you have the Start In field of the Icon properties pointed to the folder that has your config.pro file in it.

If you open a file by double clicking on it, the trail file will be written to the folder with the file you double clicked on.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I will try to do what you have described and if it is successful I will post back. I will also take screen shots of the steps and post them as well to confirm the directions I was given...Thank you

I unsuccessfully attempted to change the directory. I saw all the things that were described but the option text field was unavailable unless I scrolled down to "current Session". I opened pro/e then I went to tools then to options where I had the path to the folder that contains the "config.pro" in my system on a drop down menu that contained the path and an option "current Session". Unless I had current session selected I was unable to type in the option menu box. Is there a reason for this?

I was able to complete the task by going to my "pro\e" starup icon right clicking and going to properties (i'm using win7) here there was a section in the "shortcut" tab that contained the location where my trail.txt files where going

(ex.)=> "c:\comp_name\documents"

I then changed that by typing in the location I wanted to put the files.

(ex.)=> "f:\foleder\trail text folder

this worked for me, if there is a reason I shouldn't do it this way please let me know....thanks all

Is your F drive a local drive (on your machine) or a network mapped drive? In older versions of Pro/E you would experience significant slowdowns if the trail files are written across the network. I expect WF5 is the same but I have never loaded it.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

That method works fine.
If the config.pro file is locked, where is it located?
Are you on a corporate system with software installed by your IT guys?

I set my WF/Creo shortcut icons so the Start In location is my own working directory; c:\ptc_user\loosli. In that folder, I put my own config.pro. This way I can add my own things to the file, yet still get the company settings from their file.

Config.pro files are read in a certain order so you can control what is set. If there is a config.sup file, you cannot override those settings.

Ben Loosli

External as in ESATA or USB2.0? I think those will be fine. External as in on another (server) computer introduces a lot of latency as the trail file is opened and closed every time you make a menu or screen pick.

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Trail files should always be written to your local hard drive, not a network/mapped drive. This has always been true because of the amount of data that Pro/E writes back to the trail file.

I usually lock the trail file location in the system config.sup file so users cannot change the location. This also has allowed me to have a batch job that would run at night and delete old trail files across the network.

Ben Loosli

Trail files really aren't all that big, particularly compared to a part file with a few hundred features. We write part files across the network all the time. I was having a performance issue with Pro/E way back when we ran it on Apollo workstations on token ring networks. The way it was explained to me by tech support was that Pro/E opens the trail file, appends a line to the end of the file and closes the file with every mouse pick or keyboard enter. That way when Pro/E crashes the trail file is not corrupt. (Notice I say when, not if Pro/E crashes). Doing that across a slower network caused a perceived sluggishness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back