Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRO E Wildfire file types. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangmike

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2004
US
I have a cd with parts that are viewable by PRO E 2001 and many other 3D programs but wildfire is not an option. Does anyone know a certain type of file format or anyway I can get wildfire to view these files?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I tried the different formats but still no luck. I don't know much about 2001 so I don't know why these files will not open in wildfire.
Any ideas?
Thanks

I run WF 2.0 and it will recognize a unigraphics .prt file as a pro/E file. It won't open it though. What happens when you try to open it?

Take anything free, even if it is a kick in the pants, you may need it.

hello anybody can tell me that i have a CD of proE part made in Wildfire M150 2004080 but i want to edit it in proE 2001 or proE Wild fire 2003 is it possible to so.coz when i m creating a STL files from .prt it is reducing lot of informations so i am unable to edit in proE 2001.but i do not have proE Wildfire.

so please tell me if any can do it.and how?

thanks.

Mustangmike - What program are you using to view the files?

CadProChris - UG will also think that a Pro/E .prt file is a UG file. We run both so we load Pro/E first and then UG so all .prt files can be open with a double click of the mouse on the file. Since Pro/E uses versions, this only effects new or imported files. Also, we run Pro/I so nonoe should be opeing files from the OS.

nirpeshvikram - Wildfire files cannot be opemed in 2001, therefore, they cannot be editted in 2001.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Mike,

The files in question you can open them even in word IF THEY ARE REGISTERED TO BE OPENED WITH WORD. You can instruct WINDOWS to open any type of file with a specific program.

If your OS tells you the .prt files or .1, .2, .n files are registered with PROE2001, that means your OS was instructed to recognize these parts as Proe2001.

If a file was created with Solid Works and has extension .prt, your OS will tell you that is a PROE2001 file, but when you'll try to open it, you'll receive an error message saying that part cannot be opened with PROE.

If a prt, .asm file was created with a previous version of Wildfire, you can read/modify them in Wildfire without any problem. But not vice-verca.

Don't worry if you will not see part registered as Wildfire. If is a PorE stuff, you can open it. If you prefer to see them as Wildfire, either you'll re run the Wildfire setup program, either intstruct WINDOWS to recognize files as Wildfire. Supposing you have Wildfire installed.

Good luck.
-Hora

It generally isn't a good idea to try and open Pro/E files directly from Windows Explorer or the desktop. It makes things especially difficult when it starts saving to new versions and more and more versions of the same file show up on screen.

That is one reason why the embedded file/web browser is a useful tool, because it allows you to see only the file, and Pro/E figures out the most recent version.

Mike- where does it say that these files cannot be opened in Wildfire? What does WF1 tell you when you try to open them?

As for UG files with the PRT extension, Pro/E CAN open them, however you must have Unigraphics as well. It doesn't have to be on the same computer, but the UG startup command MUST be on a server that can be pinged by the computer running Pro/E. There is a config.pro option that sets the location of the UG installation. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot open UG *.PRT files any other way in Pro/E.

And these files DO NOT have a feature tree.

Apparently Solidworks '04 has a tool that allows you to import IGES files and it can build a feature tree from them? Anyone seen this? Someone was arguing that to me the other day and I told him I'll believe when I see...

-Mark

The files I am trying to open is for aluminum extrusions, fasteners, etc. I think that the CD that the company gave me just doesn't work with wildfire. It has 2001 as an option but when I try and open the file it wants me to start proe 2001 when I already have wildfire open. If you have any ideas then let me know. They must have made the cd before wildfire became available.
Thanks

>>As for UG files with the PRT extension, Pro/E CAN open them, however you must have Unigraphics as well. It doesn't have to be on the same computer, but the UG startup command MUST be on a server that can be pinged by the computer running Pro/E. There is a config.pro option that sets the location of the UG installation. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot open UG *.PRT files any other way in Pro/E.

Pro/E cannot open a UG part file, at least up through Widfire. I have both UG and WF1 on my computer and both programs tell me that a file from the other system is in an unknown file format.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Ben,
Do you have the "intf3d_ug_install_dir" option set up? It should point to the full path where UG is installed. I set this up for a client and they can open their customers' files in Pro/E. Thier UG installation is on another computer on the network.

Mike,
I am still unsure of how these files are showing up on your computer and why Pro/E won't open them. Is this CD from a supplier with its own application for browsing? Bosch has something like that. Is it possible to browse through the CD's contents from within Wildfire?

Cheers
-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back