Status
Not open for further replies.

tiasimo

Marine/Ocean
Mar 27, 2004
ES
Hi all!

Let me explain first our situation.
We are a Yacht Design office in Barcelona, and we are currently using Microstation for designing in 3d. Our models are complete and precise, but we are finding that there is no way of modification of the model, once you have drawn it, and further more there is no real link between the 2d detailed drawings and the 3d model. Another thing is that to make an structural analisys, we have to go out of MS and use some fea programs with problems importing geometry and so forth.

We were quite sure until last week to move to proe wildfire, but a commercial from catia v5 came to us and explained their software. Know we have a dilema. What to do.

I was quite convinced with proe, up to the point that i was studying it by myself with the demo version thaty came with the book (that its quite goog actually pro/e wildfire by lamit)

Can any of you give me some advice on what to do. (one thing more, the company will just have 3 or 4 cad users/licenses)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi all again

at the very end we changed our decision. We finally swaped to catia, as the price lowerd dramatically, and after playing around with it, we found it is much more user friendly and flexible!!!!!!! And we've seen that the design can be less constricted than with proe. Also I like better the drafting of catia. They are developing a package in catia focused for naval architects, and pro/e is going away from as, they even stoped the shipbuilding module.

thanks to all

what do you mean, that PRO/E handles better large assembliea than catia???

As far as I have seen, Catia is widely used to handle very large assemblies, eg airbus, and shipbuilding companies...

the impression I have at the moment is that proe is more focused for mechanical design, engines mechanisms etc, while catia looks to be more focused in the design and handling of large assemblies and products, with a large variety of applications. Correct me If i'm wrong.

I didn't say Pro/E handles better large assemblies than CATIA. Both of them can manage very well large assemblies.

But Pro/E is more powerfull managing components constraints, component patterns and redifining them. Let me say this: in Pro/E you can constraint components manualy, using a layout(automatic), using interchange assemblies (automatic), or using special feature (automatic). Once constarinted you can translate or rotate a component event it's a pattern member. And many other stuff like this.

One thing must be mention here. CATIA does not allow assembly cuts :) Ridiculous. No planes, points or coordinate systems allowed in assembly mode.

In drawing mode, for example, you cannot change a non-section view already set into a section view. You must create a new one and erase the other one. And if you change your mind again, you must recreate the non-sectional view and delete oter one. Is a little too much AutoCAD, don't you think?

But CATIA has some good points too in assembly mode. The sectioning cut tool in assembly mode is very powerfull and I realy like it.

I don't want to open a discussion here and divided people into pro CATIA fans vs Pro/E. But someone here on this post said this:

...ProE would be good for some parts - for example interior, etc.
CATIA is good for all, from A to Z...

Wrong! After 10 years of working with Pro/E, I really know what it can do.

-Hora

Hello,
Airbus and some others use it because it is a Dassault Sys business.

RSth: believe me that in catia takes more time to design and redesign something... everything (try to resolve a very bad iges and you will see, try to do an airfoil by multiple equations)

ProE is 1/2 of the Catia price.
We have a joke "if you can't do a problem with proe that means you didn't reach that subject..."
ProE, for me, is freedom to do everything mathematically and... physically. In catia I CAN'T DO EVERYTHING.
ProMechanica (Structural&Thermal) is much much better than the module from catia which is very modest.

I had a lot of jobs in catia and the only good think about it is that you have a lot of icons and is easy to learn. But it has only 1/2 of the logic and support than PROE.

Sincerely,
Horia
P.S. I am a CFD/FEA/CAD - engineer (BSc in Aerospace MSc&PHd in FluidThermal)
(CFX&FLUENT&Ideas/ANSYS&NASTRAN&Ideas/PROE&CATIA&Ideas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back