Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRO/ENGINEER OR SOLID WORKS 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEALP

Petroleum
Apr 10, 2001
GB
OUR COMPANY IS ABOUT TO LEAP INTO THE WORLD OF 3D. AFTER MANY EVALUATIONS AND PLENTY OF SALES PITCH WE HAVE NARROWED IT DOWN TO A DEAD HEAT BETWEEN PRO/ENGINEER AND SOLID WORKS. WE INTEND TO USE THE SYSTEM FOR GAS STORAGE PROJECTS AND WILL BE USING LARGE FINAL ASSEMBLIES OF (100000+ PARTS). ANY COMMENTS ON THE GOOD\BAD POINTS, LIMITATIONS OR OTHER THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The large assembly management tools in Pro are your best bet. I work for a non specific software consulting company, and recently I've been consulting at a company that makes transfer line machines. The assemblies at this location would make your assemblies seem small. This company invested 2yrs and extream cash to benchmark 3d software, they settled on Pro. I would be less worried about you if your other choices would have been one of the other big players like Catia or UG, but i don't think solid works is up to the task. This is my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

SolidWorks is a neat little program, but if you are trying to get into some robust models with intricate detail and many parts, Pro/E is your best bet.
The price factor is a huge one with most companies.
If price is the main concern.....go with SolidWorks.:)I
Pro/E.......the only way to draw!

Both are great for small models but Solidworks is an absolute nightmare for large assemblies. It's an absolute nightmare for assemblies fullstop. The size assemblies you are talking about you would be wasting you're time even trying to attempt them in SolidWorks.

We are currently looking at the option of switching from ProE to Solidworks. Talk to your VAR and have him talk to Solidworks. Your VAR sould be able to give you contacts at several companies that works with assemblies with 100,000+ parts.

I know most of the ProE usergroups act as if Solidworks is a little toy, but for our application its far superior. Try to talk to these other companies and find out from the source how well it works.

Good Luck,
Christopher

Definetely for large assemblies Pro/E is the best.
Costwise Solidworks is good enough.
for ease of use again SolidWorkss is good.
If only performance is the parameter select Pro/E.
Narendra
npnarendra@123india.com

My company is currently using both pro/e & solidworks. I use both on a daily basis with assy's as large as 500 an greater parts. I would go with the solidworks. It is easier to learn, has as many features as pro/e and costs less.

Dear friends,

I would like to sum up the pros and cons of both:

Pro/E:
1. Very good in handling large assemblies.
2. Cost of software too high
3. Learning takes more time than Solid Works and one tend to forget menus if not using it continuously.
4. It has more detail and comprehensive features for modelling.

Solid Works:
1. Not very good in handling large assemblies.
2. Cost is relatively lower.
3. Learning this software is relatively easier.
4. E-Drawings functionaity is superb
Amish Bhushan Goel
Engineer
Hitech e Soft
amg@hitechesoft.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back