Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro/Engineer table for drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazengr

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2007
DE
Hi,
I have a table that has the dimensions for a family of parts in excel. I am now making the detail of the family of parts in a tabulated drawing.

I know that I can create a table in Pro/Engineer by doing the following:
Table--> Insert--> Table
Create a table with the proper amount of rows and columns
Double Click on each cell of the table and manually typing in the appropriate value

I am wondering if there is a faster way to do this..

thanks,
Taz

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See the instructions on the 8th post in the following link

From PTC Help:

Use two directional repeat regions to read out the contents of family tables. This procedure shows you how to define the repeat regions and enter the basic parameters for a family table report. It assumes you have created the table cells already.

Click Table > Repeat Region. The Menu Manager opens

Click Add. The Region Type menu opens to Simple or Two-D.

Click Two-D. You are prompted Locate corners of the outer boundary of the two-dimensional region.

Select two points to define the outer repeat region. (The shape of this region is determined by how many cells in either direction you want to include in the subregions.) You are prompted Select a cell to set the upper border of the row & column subregions.

This is the cell from which the table will expand outward and downward. When you click this cell, subregion cells are added in both directions away from the cell, to the extent of the first region, so you can use them to enter additional family table report symbols.

In the example below 1) is the region you define first, the all-enclosing region. 2) is where you would pick to define the upper border of the subregions. The dark arrows show the direction in which the table will expand.

--
Fighter Pilot
Manufacturing Engineer

Wow, to me that looks like a solution in search of a problem. Anyway, it is possible to insert excel files in Pro/E drawings which sounds like what you want to do to keep the table associative. However, I have never done it as everyone seems to have problems with getting them to display & print properly.

Thanks Marc,
This looks like it is exactly what I am looking for.
However, I have not any experience with Pro/Weblink.
I saw that there is some sort of code so I tried to do the following:

Copy and Paste it into a notepad file.
Save the file as a .htm extension.
Open using Firefox

The result was a Firefox page with code and two buttons that don't work.

Am I supposed to do something like this or am I not on the right path?

Tazengr

This page covers some important Pro/WebLink setup steps:

For the Excel to drawing tables program, put the javascript code in a file called "excel2table.js".
Save the html code into into its own file using any name you want. Place these two files and
pfcUtils.js (found in "weblink" folder of Pro/Engineer install) in a folder on a network drive or
on a webserver.

If you've set the necessary security settings as mentioned in the "getting started" article, you
should be able to open the html file in the embedded web browser and run it. Commication with
Excel requires the lowest security, so be sure to set that correctly.

Marc

--
Marc Mettes
Inversion Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back