Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro/Surface vs ISDX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechatroPro

Mechanical
Mar 26, 2008
IR
hi there.
i'm seeking some clarification about Pro/surface and ISDX and how they are different. is pro/surface the basic surfacing functionality embeded in core wildfire? is the style/restyle tool in wildfire a part of ISDX?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pro/Surface allows you to build parametric surfaces (i.e. controlled by dimensions and geometric constraints), and eventually turn them into solids. It's useful for creating styled surfaces, but also useful for creating highly controlled surfaces as well (i.e. aerodynamic control surfaces).

ISDX is limited to the Style tool. It allows for more "freeform" surface modeling (i.e. manipulating curves by picking points and dragging, while seeing the surfaces update in real-time). It has numerically driven (parametric) controls as well, but not to the degree that Pro/Surface features do. It's mostly used for surface styling. Many complex product designs involve a combination of Pro/Surface and Style based features.

Restlye is part of the Reverse Engineering extension, and I don't believe is part of ISDX. It's for generating surfaces from point cloud data that you would receive from a 3D scanner.

You can't do anything with ISDX that cannot be done with Pro/Surface from a geometric point of view, but once you get used to ISDX it can be quicker and the 'realtime' visual feedback is much better. You can change a curve and instantly see the results rather than having to regenerate, tweak, regenerate, tweak... etc.

The only problem we have is that because the ISDX user interface is very different from the rest of pro/e it is difficult to get to grips with (without training) and most people here just end up reverting to using Pro/Surface features instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back