Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem ABQUS version: 6.4, 6.5 and 6.6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dresseur

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2006
CA
hallo every one here,

i'm doing my simulation on 3 abaqus version: 6.4, 6.5 and 6.6

my sample was designed on the irondcad software and exported as STEP file.
on Abaqus i imported the file. ABQUS show me by using Query distance option on tools that the system unity is SI: SI (meter....).
but the squal of the result is not the same at 6.4, 6.5 and 6.6 Abaqus version, for the same simulation!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Abaqus doesn't have any system units. The distance you measured could be in any units. All abaqus shows is a number which you have to interpret to the units you are using and you have to choose your material property units etc. to suit.
There may be various reasons why you don't get the same result between the three versions. When you say they're not equal do you mean they differ by 1e-6 or is it significant?

corus

there is a big différence.
6.4 and 6.5: the result from 6.5 are multplied by 4

6.4 and 6.6: the result from 6.6 are multiplied by 5.

the is , i think, a possibility that the three abaqus version dont take the same mesh by the same way.
what do you think about this way of solution?

dresseur (Mechanical),

'my sample was designed on the irondcad software and exported as STEP file'

What do u exactly mean by the sample? Is it the basic geometry or the complete FE model with loads and boundary conditions?

If the meshing has been done in Abaqus after the model is imported, then the results could actually vary (but not more than 3%). This is because the meshing algorithm is not the same in every version or release. This is true for every software. Enhancements are made periodically to remove bugs and also based on customer feedback.

Hi Dresseur

Just looked at the ABAQUS docs, and I see that there is a Scale option when importing STEP files. It may sound a bit obvious, but are you sure that the scale is set at "No Scale"? This will import the STEP file at the scale it was exported from CAD.

I just did a test with a 100x100x100mm cube. Exported as STEP from Solidworks and imported into CAE v6.6. Checked the distance from corner to corner - 100(units) - so no problems there.

Could there be a problem with the STEP translator in IronCAD? Maybe it's applying a scale factor? Might be worth looking at some of the export options in IronCAD.

Regards

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back