Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem creating a rectangular array 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munnichs

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2003
NL
I have a problem creating a rectangular array. When I make a block (100x100x100 mm), and then make a array of it (2 itemss in X, spacing 300), I get an error 'Tool body completely outside target body'. But this is exactly what I want.

Is there a different way to create such an array?

Regard,
Roy Munnichs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

use transform, if associativity does not matter
i think, you really not want make pattern of block:
if you want to make pattern from a region of a body, you can use pattern face under the instance..
but when the instances of the pattern are not connected? i dont know..

----
kukelyk

create a datum plane offset 50mm from a block face and mirror it... still associative.
strictly speaking, you should try to do what you are doing without creating two primitives.

Instance array creates instances of a feature on a solid body. It sounds like you're trying to create an array of solid bodies in space, which you cannot do with this command. It needs to be a boss, hole, boolean, etc.

Roy,
Kukelyk has you going in the right direction with Edit>Transform>Rectangular Array, providing the blocks don't require associativity.

Roy,
If your looking for associativity between the solids (as in one body drives the distance between/size/shape of the others), I think EWH was on target with grouping the body and arraying the group. This allows you to have an array of seperate solids in the file, all associated to the initial solid. To accomplish this;
- Application Modeling/model nav, highlight body so that the body is higlighted in the list
- Right click (3rd button, whatever), click 'group', follow the bouncing ball. I'd recommend hiding the features, but to each his own (keeps the model tree cleaner and if a downstream user tries to edit, the 'group' feature comes up which should clue them in...
I think this approach is worth looking into.

Shadowspawn

The early bird gets the worm,
But the 2nd mouse gets the cheese!

Group Feature is quite powerful when any type of normal arraying just doesn't seem to work out. I do a ton of freeform modeling & since UG can't array some types of freeform features (which is completely absurd in my mind), Group Feature will serve as a nice workaround....it's great for arraying Patch and Trim Body features as well.

While I'm on it, whoever added Mirror Body without adding Array Body to UG should be shot. A sore spot? Just a little....try modeling a freeformed wheel sometime & you'll see my frustration. Group Feature to the rescue, however I still think UGS must improve its arraying capabilities (limitations in my eyes).

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

I´ve experienced the hard way that the gruop feature can get corrupted resulting in that you can´t reach the features inside. I would rather suggest to use extract body instead and then array the unite feature.

Tim,
Tried the Patch & Trim Body arrays (just to make sure it wasn't too good to be true) - both worked as you said. Once again, your insight and this forum have been very useful. Thanks!

-Rod

Rod,

Just be careful using it. I wouldn't pile a bunch of features into one grouping. As Azrael said, there can be problems from time to time.

Also, there is a hard-coded factory icon that isn't usually available for Group Feature (at least not in any version up to NX2). If you would like to have the Group Feature icon available, just edit the Feature Operation .tbr file & add the following:

BUTTON UG_MODELING_GROUP_FEATURE
LABEL Group Features...
BITMAP Group

I placed this after the Instance Feature icon. If you're running NX3, this icon will not resemble the newer XP icons.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back