Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem cutting 8mm stainless

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjclaser

Computer
Apr 9, 2013
GB
Hi all, some advice please!! Thank you in advance!

A few weeks ago i cut 8mm stainless on our 2.2 kw bystronic, using default settings, and had a brilliant cut - no burrs or anything! I am now trying to cut some again and the cut edge is still brilliant but there are massive (approx 3-5mm long) jagged burs coming of the bottom edge! I have tried everything to remove them with no luck, e.g. cleaned the lens, checked alignment, altered the cut speed, gas, focal point, etc. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

I put a sheet of 5mm stainless, and 6mm stainless in and that cut perfectly too (no burrs), but its not cutting the 8mm! Also, the 8mm is the same sheet which i previously cut very well, so it can't be the material!!

Thanks all,
sjclaser.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you can easily remove these by punching from a side,use the same settings and put a bigger nozzle (hk30). Can you share your .PAR file for 8mm stainless steel?

CHeck the N2 side of your service unit to ensure you are getting 18.5 bar of pressure. Next, is your burr a directional burr, meaning the burr is constantly to one side no matter how the part is rotated in the nest? IF you experience this you may have an issue with mirror alingment or nozzle centering. Check the burn at all 4 corners. Center the nozzle with your largest nozzle available witht he head close to the cutting grates but not directly over a cutting grate, use 2 pieces of scotch tape to ensure a clean round hole shot/beam shot. Ensure that your cutting head lens is clean and installed correctly.
-HR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back