Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem in chosing GIS software

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyatuh

Civil/Environmental
Jan 23, 2005
MY
im developing a road tunnel database using geographic information system (GIS), for my bachelor's degree project. i have problem in chosing what kind of GIS software i should use. the software available here is McInfo and ArcView (3.3 and 8). as i will be using layers of maps, i planned to use ArcView. Still, i am quite confuse in chosing what kind of ArcView to use. to be honest, i dont really know this software very well, and my college did not provide training for GIS, only one chapter of introduction for GIS in general. badly in need for advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think it is better for you to log on this website where I believe you shall get some very useful tips on which software best suits your job at hand.It is There you shall find all sorts of online programmes,you can however put up a question to find out which suits your job at hand best.You can therefore select from a wide range of options like Arcview,Autocad,and Terra model.Or you see what is there on .You can see if ESRI ArcGIS software would serve best or better still you look up still from trimble.com if GPS Pathfinder Office apowerful GPS data processing software serves best.
Goodluck.
F.M.D(fortuneall)

Hmm...I cannot even find info on a web search for MCInfo GIS. Mr. fortuneall's link does not seem to address GIS either. And I didn't see you asking about GPS.

So, as far as your question...it seems to me it is between ArcView 3.3 vs. 8. If you haven't used either one...I suppose it almost doesn't matter as far as learning. I am familiar with 3.x so 8 has appeared awkward to me.

I would look at what formats your source mapping data will be in and make sure it is supported in the version you choose.

Do you anticipate the GIS from this project being put to use? If so, the later version may be a good idea to be more in step with the times as far as compatability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back