Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem in generating HEX mesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

satyasrinivas

Structural
Jan 18, 2008
CA
Hi

I am attaching CrackTrail.cae file for perusal. I want to mesh the 'Main' solid part in the model with quadratic hex mesh. For some reason, CAE is not allowing that.

Eventually I would like to do define a crack in the model and so I need HEX mesh for the solids. Is there anyway I can get around this problem and generate a HEX mesh for the solids.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

satyasrinivas - you should know that only relatively simplistic volumes can be meshed with hex elements. Whilst any valid volume of any degree of complexity can be meshed with tetrahedral elements, you will have to partition your volume as Corus has proved into less complex volumes that can be meshed with hex elements. As Corus hinted the hex mesh using his partitioning doesn't generate the best quality elements, so then it is up to you to follow Corus's lead and see if you can partition the original solid in such a way as to generate acceptable quality hex elements.

For hex meshing there is no "magic bullet", a true 100% quality hex mesher for complex volumes (though others may disagree!), those meshers that do claim to do this all have their short comings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back