Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendaryEngineer

Civil/Environmental
May 5, 2013
JO
Hi
I'm trying to design a steel frame using STAAD pro,
I have a problem in the analysis of wind load, in my frame the only given is the wind velocity, which equals 150 kmph
and the other problem is after running the program I find that the columns are not designed,
pleeeeeeease help me, I have no time and the frame should be done tomorrow!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe it's a late response now. Anyways can you still post the diagram or sketch of the frame that you are/were trying to design? What happened of the design if you finished it and how you solved your problem. I hope you're using latest version of STAAD.X or at least STAAD.v8i.

I could deal with that structure, thanks a lot, but now I have a question, how can I define a split rectangular section in STAAD???
I'm using STAAD pro 2007 version

I'm not sure what you mean by split rectangular section but give Section Wizard a try and see if that will solve your problem. If not give us more detail and maybe someone or myself can help.

Regarding the original post, wind loading is a tricky and confusing subject. Basically, if you are just given a wind speed you are taking the design method from the structural engineering realm where building codes are used in conjunction with all sorts of other input along with wind speed like importance factor, exposure factor and on and on and moving it into the mechancial engineering realm where you would be treating it like a fluids problem where you are determining the drag and possibly the lift on the object under investigation. If the frame you are designing is subject to a building code I can't imagine the latter method being accepted by a building official. Not because there is anything wrong with it but because these are usually not "think outside of the box" kind of people. If on the other hand this a frame for your kids swing in the back yard, knock yourself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back