Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem modeling a seam in 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

eispiata

Materials
Feb 18, 2008
FR
Hi,

I am trying to model a penny shape crack in a 3D model (see pictures attached in the Power Point Presentation). To sketch the crack I use the "Shell ---> Revolve" featured function" of Abaqus.

Indeed I sketched a line that I revolved (by a 360 angle) with respect to the axis of revolution (and ticked on: "keep the interior boundary"). Then I meshed the model and ran the analysis. The analysis completed successfully but instead of a penny shape crack it turns out that a line of point remains tied throughout the deformation. That tied line corresponds exactly to the original line used to create the penny shape crack by revolving it.

I wish i could find a way to help Abaqus understand that the line is also part of the seam.

How could i create a penny shape crack in the center of the geometry? And how can i enforce the original line to be part of the seam and not remain tied throughout the deformation?

Best regards,

Malik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried assigning a seam? Interaction > Special > Assign Seam.

You will then have to work through your crack manager to assign a crack tip, quarter point nodes etc.

You'll need to do this after meshing and also go back to your step module to write your K/J values to the odb as this is not done by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back