Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Problem opening files when clicking on them in windows explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

christianroth

Automotive
Nov 16, 2002
CA
The subject line maybe a little confusing, but I run into an error every time I try to load a file by double clicking on it say in Windows Explorer or an folder for that matter.

If I open the file through solidworks I don't have a problem (File -> Open). As well if solidworks is already loaded and running, I can then click on the part in windows explorer and it will load fine.

The error is more of a windows error more than a solidworks error as the error dialog box is common to windows XP The error mentions Windows cannot find the file specified and then it lists the path of the file.

I am using Windows XP SP2 with solidworks 2007 SP2. Intel P4 3.2G, 1 G of RAM.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I always open SW prior to opening SW documents, but after testing, find the same thing happens for me (SW07-SP2). Double clicking a file in Windows folder will open SW but not the file, and an error message is given that the file cannot be found. Weird.

[cheers]

christianroth ... More weirdness ... That only happens on my home PC (standalone) and only with the first time of double-clicking a part. Once a part has been opened, SW can be closed and double clicking a SW part will open SW as expected. Do you experience the same?

My home PC does not have a certified video card. Does yours?

[cheers]

CorBlimeyLimey, my problem is identical as what you have explained but I have a certified graphics card and certified driver.

Try this, click on a SW file, OK the error, then click on it again and it will open.

I have no idea why that is happening, but as I said before, I don't use that method to open SW. I always open SW first and either drag-n-drop from Windows or the Design Library.

[cheers]

I had this problem a few versions back and, if I remember correctly, it was a DLL problem.... sorry...but i can't remember more than that..it was a while ago.

Open Win Exp. Go to TOOLS/FOLDER OPTIONS/GENERAL tab. Select box "Double-click to open an item".
Go to FILE TYPES tab. Check to see if SolidWorks extensions are listed, if not, create them new.

Chris
SolidWorks 06 5.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

This might be the same issue:

Question:

When a SolidWorks file is selected in Windows® Explorer and then opened using the "Open with.." function, choosing the SolidWorks Explorer as application, SolidWorks Explorer is started but the file is not opened. Is this a known issue?

Answer:

This issue has been identified and reported to the development team on SPR# 331382--" Right Mouse Button - Open With - SolidWorks Explorer in Windows Explorer launches SolidWorks explorer but does not open file."

Please refer to the SPR Look-up Subscription Services site for the latest status of this SPR (
Please contact your reseller in order to be added to the notification list so that you are informed when the issue is resolved.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

The file is not on a networked drive, it exists in "My Documents". A good example of this is that I will get either a .sldprt or .x_t file via email. Double click to open and pop theres the error. If I click on it again no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back