Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem running IDEAS NX 10m3 in windows xp 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

feadude

Mechanical
Dec 23, 2003
US
I just installed ideas nx 10 and then ideas 10m1 and ideas 10ms (ideas 10m2 is supposed to be included in ideas 10m3) as upgrades. I get the following message:

internal security error : -97
you can not connect to the IDEAS flexlm lock server. please review your license file and resource locking configuration.

Can anybody please help?
thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, the message you're getting above seems to be telling us that for some reason, it's not seeing any licenses for the FLEXLM_RL (which is computer for the Flex License Manager Resource Locking), which is the third line in your license file above.

You should take a look in the security logs (under your install dir [ie, in c:\EDS\I-DEAS10\sec], just use Notepad to review the files...just don't edit anything)

There may be some more clues in there.

Also, were you given a permanent license for this machine or one with a timeout? Did you 'generate' it on this machine? If so, was it after your last install of the SW?

Did you do any editing of any of the files in the sec directory since your last install/license generation?

Is the name of your machine J7L1Q9?

-ed

hinterneder:
I have checked all above. it is a perpetual license that was generated in this machine. I think the problem is one of the 3:
1.The desired vendor daemon is down.
2.hostid. how do i get my hostid?
3.Resource locking
thank you

How do I set the lmhostid of my machine to what I have on my license file 00B0D0E965E5?
My machine is set to 000000000000
thank you

feadude,

try plugging your network connection back in b4 trying to get the hostid (it's from the NIC).

afterwards, try running lmtools.exe (ok to click the icon) under the sec dir, then make sure to click the 'config. using services'. Then pick the 'start/stop/reread' tab, and try starting the license server.

-ed

hinterneder:
Can you please elaborate on:
"try plugging your network connection back in b4 trying to get the hostid (it's from the NIC)."
I do not know how to get to NIC.
In some of ur previous responces you had references to BTW and SW . What do these stand for?

In my LMTOOLS-system settings-Ethernet Address I have 000000000000. Is Ethernet Address the same as hostid?

This is what i get in my security log file:

(eds_id10) Wrong hostid on SERVER line for license file: (eds_id10) C:\EDS\I-DEAS10\sec\EDS_ID10.lic
(eds_id10) SERVER line says 00b0d0e965e5, hostid is 000000000000
(eds_id10) Invalid hostid on SERVER line
(eds_id10) CANNOT OPEN options file "C:\EDS\I-DEAS10\sec\eds_id10.opt"
(lmgrd) eds_id10 using TCP-port 1328
(eds_id10) No valid hostids, exiting
(lmgrd) Please correct problem and restart daemons.
Thank you much

feadude,
Do you have an ethernet card on your PC? The license file is generated for ethernet card with system-ID 00b0d0e965e5, while your system ID is 000000000000. Look like you don't have an ethernet card, or with an ethernet card with different system ID.

LeonEng:
I do not have an ethernet card.
I have VIA REV2 USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER.

Here is my problem, the hostid monster:

1. In FLEXlm License Manager under Diagnostics Tab, Hostid's I have: 000000000002

2. In LMTOOLS under System Settings Tab, Ethernet Address I have: 000000000000

3. In my license file hostid is 00b0d0e965e5

4. This is what i get in my security log file:

Wrong hostid on SERVER line for license file .......
SERVER line says 00b0d0e965e5, hostid is 000000000000
Invalid hostid on SERVER line

As you can see I have three different hostids' instead of one.

My machine at work has the same hostid of 00b0d0e965e5 for items 1, 2, 3 above. That is why it works.

thank you

feadude,
Usually how Flexlm work is: detect ethernet card hostid -> match with license file -> release license.
I'm not sure whether Ideas license would work without an registered ethernet card. Did the Ideas-support mention on this when they provide the license file?

feadude,

As far as I'm aware (as of IMS9):

1) License files only work on the machine they are generated on (which also requires a MAC address for them to be tied to). If this changed, you likely need to talk with SDRC/EDS or your Reseller.

2) MAC is short for something, I don't remember, but means the hardware address (different for each NIC), which is also what I-DEAS uses (or at least what the 'FLEXlm license manager' inside I-DEAS) uses for the 'hostid'.

2) NIC is short for 'Network Interface Card', which is what the network cable plugs into, and what the MAC is physically identifying (no two alike, used for security)

3) BTW is 'by the way', and SW refers to SoftWare (above) or possibly SolidWorks, depending on the context.

4) You should find a way to get the install manual for 10, read it, and then try installing on your machine per those instructions (which likely requires you to have a NIC and possibly that it is plugged into at least a hub).

As of IMS9, I am not aware of a way to run the license server on a machine without a NIC. Perhaps they changed things for 10.

Best Regards,
Ed

This is what I found out under I-DEAS10 hardware requirements:
Other Requirements
· Ethernet Adapter (for TCP/IP support)

How do I check to see if I have the ethernet card?
And if I do not have it which brand and part no is good for I-DEAS?
I am going to get an installation guide manual and check it too.
Thank you for your help and directions

I-DEAS licensing runs off the HostID which, for a PC, is present in the Network Adapter. No Adapter, no HostID.

When the Take Home License is generated from the Fully licensed server, I believe the application that generates the license needs both the Host Name and HostID of the "Home" PC.

Easisest Solution, fit a network card, get the Host ID, recut the Take Home License for that HostID along with your PC's Host Name.

I called VIA TECH and he told me that my "VIA REV 2 USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER" is an Ethernet card. I have a network card after all. Sorry for my previous posting that I wrote: " I do not have an ethernet card." I was wrong.
I am back to square one again. (now what?). I read somewhere that my computer could be reading more than one NIC, MAC, NETWORK CARD,etc, like maybe my computer is reading my modem as an additional interface card. Could this be causing the hostid discrepancy monster?
thank you

The Take Home License Utility is provided in the %SDRC_INSTL%\sec\LicUtil ($SDRC_INSTL/sec/LicUtil - UNIX) folder of your I-DEAS installation. The utility is delivered as two executables (takehomeui.exe, takehometx.exe) and one script (licutil.cmd/.sh) in the LicUtil folder.

feadude,

So, as indicated in the 2/20 post, you need to have the NIC active (ie, plugged into something, like a router/switch), as otherwise windows doesn't seem to pickup the HostID (ie, the MAC address).

If you plug it in, and the hostid comes out to be the same as the one you already have the license for (and not all zero's), you'd be all set.

If (as sounds more likely) the hostid comes back different (and not all zero's), you can then do as RCDLtd suggested above for the 'take-home' license generation (but I would leave the network plugged in during that process, just in case).

You could try generating the 'take home' license using all zero's, though I'd be surprised if that actually worked, as that would generate a license that is essentially not tied to any one computer...

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
-Ed

hinterneder
I tried all zeros and as u suggested it might not work, it did not work. Next I am going to try plugging something into
NIC so i get the MAC. But this is just a home pc with no network server. I have 2 questions:
1. What do I plug into NIC? I should buy it whatever it is because I do not have anything like that at home.
2.Does the other end of this device (ie: router/swith which I am not familiar with) have to be connected to a server or another computer to get the MAC?
thank you

feadude,

You must have a HostID. All 0's mean that you do not have one and this will not work for licensing I-DEAS.

The HostID is present in the Network Adapter whether it is plugged into a network or not.

I'm not sure what kind of Network Adapter you have or whether it is propoerly installed. I would suggest you install a 10/100 Ethernet (RJ45) Network Adapter into your machine and check, through Device manager, that "Device is working propoerly". This should be a fairly inexpensive item, say $10-$20 only.

Whether this is connected to a network/switch/hub or not this should then give your PC a HostID.

Once you have been able to get a HostID on your PC then move on to the next stage of cutting the Take Home License.

Good Luck.

Hello everyone:

I want to generate a takehome license for another hostid (another pc)from my pc, which my pc is a server right now, and the sdrc is running fine. I have checked my system A200 has been installed, and setup_varbs.cmd is pointing at %SDRC_INSTL%/sec for security, but when I execute the takehomeui.exe, it give me an error:
Unable to obtain server information from security database.
Is that mean that my secDB.dat is corrupt ?
How to solve this problem ?

Anyone can help Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back