Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem using Search in NX Documentation/Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

potrero

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2007
US
This is related to an issue covered in a past thread: thread561-301178, in which recent versions of both Java and Internet Explorer prevent use of the search functionality in NX documentation/Help (the problem is: you enter a word into the Search box, hit enter, the spinning "progress meter" pops up, but nothing else happens). We've run into this problem on a fresh machine build with the following configuration:

Windows 7 64-bit, NX8.0.3 MP5, Java Version 7 Update 5 (build 1.7.0_25-b17), IE 10

We ran into the problem with Java's Security level set both at Medium and High (which is the default out of the box). (Control Panel > Java > Security tab) In the past, simply setting the Security to Medium had sometimes been sufficient to enable NX Doc search functionality, but no longer, it seems.

Based on feedback from the other thread, we uninstalled IE10, rolling back to IE8. With no other change to settings (Java security at Medium), NX Doc search STILL wasn't working.

We did find one new trick that seems to work:
In the Java Control Panel (accessed via Windows Control Panel > Java), under the "Advanced" tab, there is a setting "Java Plugin > Enable the next-generation Java plugin (requires browser restart)". This was toggled ON by default. Toggling it OFF prompts a popup saying "Security features will be disabled if you do not enable the Next Generation plug-in. This is NOT recommended." Sounds scary. But anyhow, clicking on Disable and moving on... Search in NX Documentation now works!

We have not tested this setting under IE10 yet, only IE8 + Java v7 update 5.

It would be FANTASTIC if Siemens could put in the effort to make Search of NX Documentation function without all of this ridiculous back-bending on the part of end-users! I assume that the workarounds keep changing because basically Java represents a security risk on computers, and the best-practice in the industry is to tighten up security. Requiring end users to roll back to a browser 2 generations old, and disable security settings, just to be able to search a text database, sounds like weak sauce. You can do better than this!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

potrero said:
We have not tested this setting under IE10 yet, only IE8 + Java v7 update 5.
Requiring end users to roll back to a browser 2 generations old...

Try IE 10, it will probably work. I use the most current version of Firefox as my default browser and the NX documentation search works as long as I have the right version of Java installed and activated.

www.nxjournaling.com

@Cowski,

As mentioned in my post, we originally tried it with IE 10, not IE8.

Subsequently we've gone back and tried both with IE9 and IE10 and at least with Java version 7 update 5, the main culprit now appears to be the "Next Generation Plugin". Disabling the plugin as described in my original post appears to enable NX Doc search functionality in all three IE versions (8, 9, and 10).

@Cowski,

As mentioned in my post, we originally tried it with IE 10, not IE8.

Subsequently we've gone back and tried both with IE9 and IE10 and at least with Java version 7 update 5, the main culprit now appears to be the "Next Generation Plugin". Disabling the plugin as described in my original post appears to enable NX Doc search functionality in all three IE versions (8, 9, and 10).

Don't know if you have seen this or not, but it seems not be Siemens that is guilty this time. Oracle.
See SFB-NX-7396 on the "Solution centre". You need to install a new version of the documentation search engine due to a security increase in Java. We have got it to work again ( After the Java update) together with IE 8 but not using later versions of IE.

Regards,
Tomas

Note that it appears that these Java issues will be mitigated somewhat with the release of NX 9.0. You still have to make sure that you've got the correct version of Java installed, but everything simply works better (IMHO, Oracle has not done a very good job of maintaining and supporting Java since their acquisition of Sun Mircosystems).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back