Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Assembly product structure 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aerosandy

Jun 22, 2005
US
Hello Group!

I am having a major problem with my assemblies. I have an assembly with around 10 sub assemblies saved in different folders. I've constrained the parts in 'n' number of ways. The main assembly was all working fine until I had to delete an unrelated part saved in one of the sub assembly folder.

After which, I had to restart my system. After restarting, I am just not able to open any of my sub assemblies and the main assembly and even individual parts in all the folders. It keeps giving me an Incident error which says " Invalid data structure".

The strange thing about this is, I had the whole assembly in a network. So all the recent updates were made on the network. I had a backup of all these files on my PC and even the files on my PC (bearing the same name for all the assemblies and sub assemblies) don't seem to open. This was really strange coz, all the updates on my PC files were made 3 days ago(without any recent updates).

So is there a way I can retrieve back this file? the size of the file is all intact, I know the model and assemblies are there, but I am just not able to open any of the files. Is there a way I can deactivate the constraints for the main assembly and sub assemblies? I tried using options/product structure and part infrastructure. But couldn't figure out a way. Anyone faced a similar problem, and found a solution? I'am using V5 R14. Thanks a lot for all your help in advance.

Adios

Sandy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Group,

I found a way to open the file, by changing the Options-> General->Document->Other folder and specifying the folders which had all the sub and main assemblies. But just can't see the assembly in the catia window, I can see the tree will all the parts, constraints and assembly features there, tried to replace individual models from the tree, but it just keeps giving me the Incident error saying " Invalid data structure".

I can see the particular model in the show preview option when I try to open the file, but it just dosen't seem to open the model. Is there a way I can somehow see these files like how windows has a Safe Mode? or Is there a way if i delelte the main assembly, i can see these models,,I'am in a real fix! I just can't follow why am not able to open the individual models or even the sub assembly models. I'am seriously doubting whether I'll be ever able to open these files, I need some serious help here group!!

Thanks again....

Sandy

Hi,

Some general help which you maybe already know...

Activate following options:

Options-> General->Document->Folder of the pointing documnet
(Catia search in the folder of the open document)

Options-> General->Document->Relative folder
(Catia search in the sub-folders of the open document)

and then specify as you already have done "Other folders"

Make sure that "Load referenced documnets" under Options-> General->General->Referenced Documnets is checked.

Try Load under Components when right-clicking in the tree.

Try Activte Node under Representation when right-clicking in the tree.

/Akesson

Thanks for your replies Akesson and Catiajim.

Coming to the suggestion by Akesson, both the below mentioned options were already activated
Options-> General->Document->Folder of the pointing document
Options-> General->Document->Relative folder

So it did'nt help much. Regd. your other suggestion of activating "Load referenced documnets" under Options-> General->General->Referenced Documnets. Infact when I did this, I could not get even the tree to load. When it is unchecked I can get the spec tree showing all the components and constraints except the whole model itself.
So am back to square one, where I have all the spec tree listed but no actual model. And even tried Load under Components when right-clicking in the tree and Activate Node under Representation when right-clicking in the tree. But both the options returned with the old incident error "Invalid data structure".

Coming to the suggestion by Catiajim, I tried running CATDUAV5 for the whole assembly and sub assembly, it returned with 3 errors and fixed the errors. I tried opening the assembly again, ended up in vain. But it did give me two parts, that had been fixed, but for other parts its said, aborted in the report.

I'am just seriously doubting on opening this assembly, so I was just wondering whether there is anyway, I can just isolate the assembly and atleast be able to open the individual parts, and start the assembly all over. So is there a way to unlink the individual parts from the assembly, but am sure I wil not be able to open few parts created on the assembly itself, or is there a way to get them too? Or should I delete some of the assembly features that I have created? I just can't understand how does this whole assembly that I changed on the network affect the ones that I backed up in my computer which was not updated??its really puzzling. Should I try renaming them??

I'am keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Thanks again,

Adios

Sandy

Try loading your assembly with Load Reference Documents OFF.

Then try loading each part individually. You can do this by right-clicking and selecting COMPONENTS --> LOAD.

This should help you find out which part is corrupt. When you figure out which is the corrupt part, copy/paste the geometry from that part into a brand new part and add it to your assembly (use the Replace Component function to keep any positioning).

Good Luck!

When I tried loading components, its just hanging the system. I tired with Load Reference Documents OFF. Its just not alowing me to load any of the parts, does this mean all the parts are corrupt? keeps giving me Incident error. Except for 2 parts which did load, which were cleaned by CATDUAV5.

when you say copy/paste the geometry from the corrupt part into a brand new part-----I'am just not able to open any parts to copy the model from one part into another.

Will deleting the assembly features help?? or deleting constraints help??

Hello Group,

I found the solution, it was a basic thing, and probably one of the most important thing to worry about in assembly.
It was so simple as setting my computer time to an earlier time (i don't know how it happened!). It was set a month ago, sometime in August. And the model and assembly was simply not recognizing the older date on the model.

I just realized it by fluke, anyway its saved tons of my time by remodelling it. But sure did I learn bunch of options in Catia, in last few days!! Thanks group for the help.

Careful about the system time!!!

Adios

Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back