Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with convergence in heat transfer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

maheshh

Mechanical
Aug 27, 2003
US
What are the probable reasons for a heat transfer problem (using only SOLID70 elements) not converging?

I have created a very detailed structure of semiconductor die (resolution: few micron level details included), thermal interface material and lid (dimension: @37.5 mm square). I have heat flux BC on the die and convection on top of lid surface (trying to keep it simple).

Solution:
Steady State Analysis
The solver starts off with "Nonlinear Solution"
I am using Sparse direct solver
Newton-Raphson option: FULL

ANTYPE,STATIC ! Steady-state analysis type
EQSLVE,SPARSE
NROPT,FULL ! Program-chosen Newton-Raphson
TUNIF,300 ! Uniform starting temperature
AUTOTS,ON ! Automatic time stepping
NSUBST,2 ! Number of substeps
KBC,0 ! Ramped loading (default)
SOLVE
FINISH

I have tried upto 50 substeps. But the solution does not converge. I am using the default convergence criterion.

I keep on getting a message:
"There are 'n' small equation solver pivot terms. May be a transitional effect caused by the N-R logic."

I know this warning can be ignored. So not worried about that.

But why does the solution not converge?

Could this be because there is a huge variation in terms of element size as I go from die details to lid tessellation? I thought this would not be a problem because I am solving for only TEMP dof.
OR
Is it because of the huge difference between thermal conductivities of different materials?

Any hints?

Regards

Mahesh Hardikar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why is the analysis non-linear? Do you have temperature dependent material properties for example? If not, remove these items - the items telling ANSYS that you wish to perform a non-linear analysis - from your input deck and just have:

ANTYPE,STATIC ! Steady-state
TUNIF,300 ! Uniform starting temperature
SOLVE
SAVE
FINISH

Best of luck,

-- drej --

Yes, properties are temperature dependent.
Apparently, if I use a very small element size, then solution has a hard time converging. I doubled the element size, and the solution converged in 2 substeps.

Can anybody think of any particular reason for this?

Regards,

Mahesh.

Thermal analysis are almost always non-linear. IMHO, double sizing just eliminates non-linear effects, especially if you are dealing with radiation problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back