Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems creating non horizontal parallel lines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa Marfell

Mechanical
Aug 4, 2016
GB
Hi,

I am a recent Draftsight user and am struggling to create parallel lines at angles away from the horizontal x axis. I am looking to use these parallel lines to form construction lines to use for my drawing. I was able to create parallel lines using the ortho function, but this only works for lines in the x or y direction. Is there a way to use the parallel function for lines at an angle?

Currently I've been using trig to work out each coordinate, but this is very time consuming!

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!

Lisa

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try using the "offset" command. It will ask you for a distance, select the line you want and the side you want to offset to. It will then place an exact copy of the line you selected on the side you chose at the distance you put in. It works great for any line. In fact it will even offset a circle or arc. I use it all the time.

Good luck,
Gary

Many thanks for your quick reply Gary.

I couldn't get the offset function to work with an infinite line, but it works with a standard line.

Thanks for your help :)

Lisa

Lisa, it works with an infinite line for me. Give it another try. At least you were able to get it to work on a standard length line.

Gary

I managed to get it to work thanks Gary.I was trying to offset a line with an infinite line, but realised you are only able to offset the original shape.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back