Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems printing large PDF's lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwubs

Industrial
Oct 10, 2002
At our company we PDF all of our released drawings for printing. We have recently noticed that our larger (D size, 2.5 mb) print jobs are missing sections, that is sections of the drawing are blank. We are printing to an HP designjet 500 with 16 mb. of RAM and an HPLG card built in. These drawings have not been a problem in the past. Is anyone aware of a change that has been made in SW, Adobe, or Windows? Anyone experiencing the same thing? Our IT guy wants us to save our drawings as image files, but that is not practical for us.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you recently upgraded or updated SW?
Does HP have a newer driver for the printer?
How are you creating the PDFs?
From what program are you printing the PDFs?
Do the print previews look OK?

Not sure if this works. But you can try this. Download & install (Free)
After this you will find a new printer (Cutepdf) in your printers list. Choose this & try printing. It will prompt for a file name, type your desired name & checkit out.BT

CBL - good point, getting down to specifics. I'll answer questions in order.

We have not made any changes to SW. We are all running 2007 sp.5
I don't know whether HP has a new driver, since we no longer have access to the network setup.
We are creating PDF's from SW - save as PDF, and also using the pdf printer which installs with Adobe.
We are printing PDF's frome Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro
Yes, the print previews always look fine.

fcsuper - I'll test the condition you are describing.
Thanks all

Try hitting Ctrl-P to print, and when the print window
pops up, hit "advanced" in the lower left hand corner. From there, check the "print as image" check box. We have had success printing larger PDF's after checking that box.

Aaron
SolidWorks (x64)/PDMWorks 09 3.0
CADKey 99 R1.0 (Yes, still using it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back