Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

problems with iparts

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbs101

Mechanical
Aug 1, 2012
GB
Hi. I've not been using iparts for long and am realising that they might be more trouble than they are worth!

So, I've got a family of shafts, 4 off, identical other than lengths. I've converted the part to an ipart and set the lengths accordingly. I've put the iparts into my assembly. All is fine.

I've done a manufacturing drawing. When I made the ipart I set the table such that
- part number for each member is identical - P-COL-104301
- member numbers are -01, -02 ...

This works well for the part drawing, as the automated drawing border part number comes up as the common part number, i.e. P-COL-104301. I've put in a table to list the members and their lengths.

Now I come to do a GA of my top level assembly. I find now that the parts list on the GA shows 4 off of the common part number, not the member numbers.

So, easy work around is to change the part numbers in the ipart table to also read -01, -02 ... But then my drawing border part number reads the -01 member number that the drawing is based on. Ok, I realise I can easily edit this manually on the drawing, but am I missing something here? Is there something I'm not doing right?

Thanks.

Hobbs101
Mechanical Design Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your titleblock is simply setup to autofill the part number field in your titleblock with the part number iproperty of the component that is the first base view placed on that sheet..
I have simply made mine a prompted entry instead of an autofill field to account for this.. and many other situations where I might need to control the part number instead of an autofill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back