Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with printing in NX3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munnichs

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2003
NL
Hello,

We are working with NX3 and having promblems with printing. We have a HP Designjet 100 printer/plotter, which supports PCL3. But since NX3 (and also NX4) do not support this language, the prints are awfull. I called GTAC about it and they said, that they cannot solve the issue. But according to them there is a third party utility that does the trick.

My question are: Does anybody know this utility and where to get it? Or does anybody has another solution for this?

Any help is appreciated.

Kind regards,
Roy Munnichs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Roy

If you are truly printing, then know others also get poor quality. The solution for us was to "plot" instead of "print". What an improvement!

I'm not sure about that, but I had the same problem (even had problems printing PDF files out of UG... has very thick line fonts). Strangly one day out of the blue, it worked again.

Even more strange is that now I have that same problem with plotting, and am forced to print. Thats UG for ya

Rghay,

We cannot plot because our printer/plotters are not supported (HP Designjet 100 and HP Business inkjet 1100) for plotting in NX.

Mustangman2001,

We also have the same problems when making PDF's. Since NX 3.0.3.2 mp4 there has been a change in printing in NX, which might explain that the PDF-making worked agagin. What was very strange however is the following (before MP4 and after MP4:

A4 : no change, is (was good)
A3 : Big improvement in print quality
A2 : no change, is (was) good)
A1 : Print quality was good, got worse
A0 : Print quality was good, got very worse

This is also in NX4. I talked to GTAC about this and they said to me they cannot do anything about it, although I told him that because of this we cannot migrate to NX4!

He told told me however that there was a third party program that bypasses the print function in NX. Only he did not know (Or did not want to tell me) wat this program was called and were to download it.

So I was hoping that maybe somebody here has heared, or maybe is using this program. If you do, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Roy.

Hi All,

Some information for you. SDI plotting within NX3 & NX4 doesnt support pcl 3. My suggestion is to use M-Plot.(Link Below) Easy to setup works everytime and supports all plotters. Great pdf outputs aswell.

Website
Hope this helps.

I little tip for printing (when you can't plot):

Resize the window a bit smaller before your print. Not sure why this happens, but if you do it, the the line weights will not be heavy. I recall this same problem in NX2 as well.

The other way is to export to a jpg or some such. Then print using your default windows picture application. An advantage of this method is you have a hardcopy that anyone can print out later without opening UG. I use this method for NC setup sheets for the floor.

--
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back