Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with using /link & AUXVIEW2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HieuDang

Automotive
Sep 12, 2002
CA
To: all the professional out there........please help.
I have this problems for couple of years.
I usually have my 3D model and my 2D drafting in the same file. I create my 2D from using Auxview2. My problems is that my customer wanted to do it in a different way. They wanted 3D model to be created from a seperate file from the 2D drawing.
Example.....I would have a
righthandle_so_V (This file it will only contain the 3D solid) then I would have a
righthandle_2D_V (This file contain the 2D views and dimensions)

My procedure is to create a 3D model file save it.
Example..... (righthandle_SO_V)
Then go to a different file go to FILE on the left upper MENU open up the 3D model (righthandel_SO_V) ADD PASSIVE by now I have a blank 2D and a right handle solid in my 3D space. I uses AUXVIEW2 project all my views and dimension. Pressently the 3D and the 2D are associated to each other, once I have finished I save this file as (righthanle_2D_V)

Therefore I have two files one containing the 3D model other 2D drafting.

When it come to making changes or ENG change I would do to the (righthandle_SO_V) do the changes UPDATE my solid then save it. My second step it to it out of this (righthandle_SO_V) and go to my (righthandle_2D_V) in my command line I would type /LINK load my (righthandle_SO_V). Pressently I am in my 2D files with my solid being load passively. I would update my 2D to the new ENG change by going to AUXVIEW2, UPD ALL( the left corner say MODEL REPLACE) then I would go to AUXVIEW2, USE then one by one update all my views. My problems occur now I cannot Dimensions. such as adding more dimensions to my existing dimension chain. Sometime my origional dimension extension lines goes into space (means out to no where). This are some of the error that shows on the left corner
There is an error saying INTEGER VALUE OUT OF RANGE.
all so in the in the Quick Start. shows

THE MODEL:
DDNAME: MOM
TITLE: righthandle_SO_V
WAS NOT FOUND IN CURRENT SESSION AND WAS REPLACED THROUGH THE USE OF A USER INSERTED PROGRAM BY MODEL:
DDNAME: MOJ
TITLE: righthandle_SO_V

Basicly is the same model but different DDNAME identity.
I appriciated if someone can tell me what I did wrong or how I can differently approach it. Because everytime I have an ENG change I cannot add more dimension to the existing drawing but would have to redo the whole thing.

Thank you all..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

would it be too difficult to have 3 files.
file 1 - complete solid plus drawing.
file 2 - solid only
file 3 - drawing only

keep the first file as internal working file, do your eng changes there. Then when you send to customer split it up into files 2 and 3. Keep file 1 for later changes.

There are only two files.

The original way that was done was file 1-complete solid plus drawing.

Now customer requested to split up into two files.
1-solid only
2-drawing only

but they are link together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back