Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Problems working with assemblies 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcmaster

Structural
Apr 20, 2004
GB
Hi folks, I am trying to assemble various parts that I have drawn within SW but am new to the program and have come unstuck on a couple of points. I will give a brief description of what I am working with then describe my problem.

The assembly is a shaft about a metre long. At on end is a pulley wheel attached to a boss welded in position. The pulley has a shoulder on one side for a keyway so it has to go on in a certain way.

Here's the problem.

I start the assy by opening the shaft drawing in assys. Then I bring in the pully wheel, the problem here is that the pulley wheel is facing the wrong way and I need to turn it round 180 degrees, how do I do this?

Also, I want to be able to place the boss at a specific point on the shaft, how can this be done. I thought I would be able to use the smart dimensioning tool but this doesnt appear to be possible.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version of SW are you using?

Make sure you have your Assembly toolbar visible. This can be done by going to View>Toolsbars and selecting Assembly. One of the icons is for Rotate Component.

In your Assembly model, click on the pully wheel model to highlight it, and then click the Rotate Component icon. You should then be able to rotate your part as required. To move the part closer to where you need it to go, click the other icon called Move Component, then drag the model to it's location.

To position the pully via dimensions, try to use the part planes instead of model faces. Also, it sounds like you might want to revisit the SW tutorials. They are very helpful in getting you up and running with basic skills, as well as advanced skills.

Ray Reynolds
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

You can also rotate or flip a part when mating, by using the Mate alignment toggle in the Mate dialogue box.

As MadMango said, your best bet would be to work through the SW tutorials. They have one for Assembly Mates. The SW help file also has good information about mate alignments.

Good Luck.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. [lol]

Here's a small point, but very helpful for us to interpret what people mean in their questions:

If you can correctly differentiate in your use of SW terms it really helps. I realize it is difficult when moving from an older CAD system or the "board"....ahhhh. Old habits die hard for all of us.

However there is a real difference between Drawings and Parts and Assemblies. Also smart mates or smart dimensioning?

If everyone could make an extra effort to get the terms correct, it would help to speed up getting an accurate response.

I am not really singling your post out - it just occurred to me (again) as I read it.

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Arcmaster,

I suggest you go through the assembly module of the SWX tutorial. Chances are it will help considerably, especially since you are new to the software and apparently have not been to a training class.

Good luck,

- - -Dennyd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back