Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Procedure Qual. & Pressure Equipment Directive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dar

Materials
Sep 26, 2001
US
We receiently received a job to fabricate some pressure vessels in accordance with ASME. We are a vessel code shop and hold procedures and welder quqlifications to ASME Sec IX. However, I am told we will have to requalify our procedures and welders under the "Pressure Equipment Directive" and have this process witnessed by a "Notifiying Body". I have no problem with this but, are their any other requirements different than or additional to ASME Sec. IX that I need to be aware of.

Any insite will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not recall this being a requirement. Either do a 'google' or get hold of a copy of the regs.

I am sure that if your procedures and qualifications were to code and witnessed by an independant third party then you will not have to re-qualify.

From what I remember the regs were applicable above a certain pressure to ensure that operators have things manufactured properly and then have in place a written scheme of examination for in-service inspection prior to start-up.
Some of the plants that had equipment in place when the regs were introduced (in the early - mid-nineties I think)
had problems meeting the requirements.
Regards,
quadswift

Per our customer's request, who wanted a vessel to be PED qualified, we had to qualify a welding procedure with a witness, who happened to be Lloyds. Since it was only a couple of welds, we had the fabrication done by the same individual that welded the procedure, and we were covered. The welder and procedure were qualified to ASME IX though. If you want to know more about the PED, is a good place to start.

According to the PED Annex 1 par. 3.1.2 the Welders as well as the PQR shall be approved by either a NoBo (Notified Body) or a third party recognized by a Member State.
If ASME IX is used , I would suggest to add RT , PT , hardness test and macro etch in order to bring it in line with European qualifications ,although some NoBo' s accept just ASME IX as it is.

It depends greatly on the Notified Body that you use, how they interpret PED. Our PED weld procedures (and WPQ) are compliant with ASME IX but also with much (not all) of EN 287/288. Reason is that I do not believe there is a "harmonzied" welding standard yet, although if you were good to EN 288/287 you'd be fine. It's a bit more restrictive than IX in many respects, however.

Dar,

Indeed, your welding has to be witnessed and approved by a NoBo or recognised third party. Most Notified Bodies will accept ASME IX PQR's and WPQ's.

BUT,
please note that the PED is a legislation and not a code or a standard. This means that all the relevant essential safety requirements of the PED have to be filled in by using a standard, but just using ASME is not sufficient to comply with PED (f.e. performing risk analysis, etc..).

the best way is to consult a Notified Body (there is a list available on the PED website http:\\ped.eurodyn.com). Do not hesitate to do this, because it is quite complex at the beginning and if you do not comply with it you could have problems starting up in Europe.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back