Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procedure Qualifications of DIfferent Heat Treat Conditions per Section VIII UG-84

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumsdw

Mechanical
May 23, 2013
US
Hello All, Per ASME Section VIII Division 1 Part UG-84 (H)(2)(b), when Impact testing is required material shall be in the same heat treat condition as the material in fabrication. I understand this completely, however, Per ASME Section IX QW-403.5 (c) Welded plates of different Group numbers in the same P number classification qualifies the procedure for the welding of the different group numbers to them selves as well as each other as long as the same essential, non-essential, and supplementary essential variables are the same. So if I qualify a P1/1 to a P1/2 in a PQR test, this would qualify the welding of P1/1 to itself, P1/2 to itself, and P1/1-P1/2, even if Impact testing is carried out. If this is correct, does material heat treat condition apply as well (Normalized, Quenched and Tempered, etc.)? If I qualify a P1/2-Normalized to a P1/2-Quenched and Tempered does it qualify the P1/2 Normalized both to itself and to the P1/2 Quenched and tempered, and also qualify the P1/2 Quenched and tempered to itself and to the P1/2-Normalized? Thank you for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, Sounds logical . Given the scenario, impact specimen shall include HAZ samples of both the sides (N and Q&T)to cover more than one HT condition

I am thinking it does based on the welding procedure will have successfull mechanical properties in the BM, WM, and HAZ, so the weld and mechanical properties per say won't be affected negatively whether it's one condition or the other.

Correct it is, but if I qualify with impact testing a normalized coupon and a quenched and tempered coupon of the same p number and group number would it qualify both heat treat conditions to themselves as well as to each other.

Yes, the question is pretty clear, but can't answer in yes or no because the Code requires the base material to be used for PQR as the same heat treated condition. Since you want to combine plates of two different heat treated condition, my concern is how the requirements of Code in terms of impact test required for HAZ as per UG-84(g)(2)will meet for both the heat treated condition unless you test both the HAZ sides (This opinion is not based any reference from Code)

I agree. If you qualify a P1/2-Normalized to a P1/2-Quenched and Tempered, it does qualify the P1/2 Normalized both to itself and to the P1/2 Quenched and tempered, and also qualify the P1/2 Quenched and tempered to itself and to the P1/2-Normalized.

HAZ for either side must be tested.

I understand that by stating P1/2 you mean that both the materials are certified to P1 group no. 2.

you are correct sharmass. All of the material is the same P number and Group number. I also have different Group numbered P number materials, but I do believe the same rule applies because I will be Impact testing the HAZ.

I believe the intent of section viii ug-84 (h)(2)(b) implies the material ultimately qualified in the pqrs will need to be in the same heat treat condition, not necessarily the same combination directly welded each time meaning I can qualify one heat treat condition to another and still be qualified to weld both heat treat conditions to themselves as well as to each other. The latter mentioned in section ix qw-403.5. Both paragraphs are vary vaige but informative when considering how many combinations are qualified by joining two different grouped number p number materials and two different heat treat conditions in the same pqr or multiple pqrs.

Keep in mind that the requirements of Section VIII, Div 1 must be followed completely for welding and impact qualification. Section IX is a service code book section and supports all code book sections regarding only qualification of welding procedures and qualification of welders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back