Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Process Monitoring guide line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Process monitoring - Just Do it.

Measure everything associated with the product sales specification. Measure things necessary to control the process. Measure and contol things that could cause equipment problems.

Review the standard API RS 14C that applies to safety shutdowns in the offshore oil and gas business. It identifies the type shutdown required to avoid releasing hydrocarbon to the enviroment. Even if not applicable, API 14C has examples for pumps, vessels, etc. and good criteria for consideration in other applications.

John

madhavan,
your question is too generic.can help you easily if you can be a little more specific.
process monitoring would require data collection,analysis,intelligent feedback controls.
would be delighted to help you out.
subhi

Dear jsummerfield
mine is pharma not oil and gas
but ur suggestion regarding equipment trouble shooting will be very helpful to me
thanks for ur suggestion

dear subhi
i am monitoring now process tempt,pressure vs time & amps .
mine involve reactor , scrubber(packed bed), centrifuge and FBD
looking forward for valuable feedback .

i decided to tempt approach by noting down the Utlility inlet and outlet tempt with mass tempt and also to calc U
scrubber load under various circumstances

regards
K Madhavan

K Madhavan

madhavank007,

I don't know much about your process, but the best advice I can give is:

1. Do not measure anything that you are not using. You will find yourself fixing tranmitters and meters that collect data that does nothing but sit in a spreadsheet somewhere.

2. Do not set your specs outside of your monitoring capabilities. I work with ceramics, and I have seen many specs set to 0.01, but measured with a an instrument that is only accurate to 0.1. That may be a little bit of an exageration, but you see the point. You either have to spend the money to get the right instrument, or relax the spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back