process simulations softwares 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzgul

Chemical
Dec 22, 2007
GB
Dear Friends
I am a new member of this forum. I have almost 6 years of experience in petrochemical plant operations and process improvement.
I have done an introductry course (3 days) for use of Aspenplus.
How can I improve my process simulation skills to join a design comapny in next 1 year.
Best Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Simulations do not make you a good engineer. You need tosee first hand how the real world works. You need to make models of existing plants and see how they compare, how to tune them up. No simulation can solve a compressor for example, you have to solve it by experience.

Get data from real plants and compare to models. Get articles about real situations and study tham.

I am a process Engineer with 4 years expereince. I spent a good proportion of that time working on Hysys and Aspen plus. You can only improve your skills if you are working on the pacakge. You learn the trick, problems and short cuts.

If you join a design company express to them that you would like to work on a simulation and ask who is the simulation expert. they shoudl be able to guide you through any snags you have.

Different projects apply simulation software in different contexts. you can design a process from a front end approach, you can do a detailed model for a detailed job... or you can build a model to troubleshoot a problem on an existing plant. in all the above you need to note that the model will give you numbers but they should be used as a compass along with your assumptions. some people believe that the answers are absolute and precise. aspen plus is a package that will sometimes give you different convergence points for a single simulation if you run it a number of times. its for that reason i prefer Hysys.

I hope this helped?

Thanks Friends
I dont know if it is the rite forum to get this kind of advice or not.
but can some body guide me? infact i m BE chem engr and have most of my experience (about 6 years) in petrochem plant operations and spent about 1 year in process improvement work. But now I am seriously thinking to join some design organisation. what should i do for next 6 months to develop my design skills to get into design job.

appreciate your suggestioin n comments
thanks in anticipation

You should improve CFD skills rather then process simulation, CFD is a real designing package, process simulator normally use for optimization and conceptual designing.

Perhaps you can look at process simulation tools where you can develop both your modeling and CFD skills. Tools like gPROMS from Process Systems Enterprise can do this.

Black box steady state tools like Hysys can only get you so far. It is always worth considering Dynamic open source tools, as they allow you to create high fidelity models that really represent what is actually happening.

Regards
Goggs

I think process simulation gives you great insight into processes that is not possible by just having experience with the equipment alone. If you are currently working as a plant engineer, use the simulator for as many basic tasks as possible: sizing pipes and control valves, rating exchangers and columns, calculating heats of reaction, etc. Do this even if you feel you could currently do it by hand faster. It takes about 1-2 years to get a real profficiency in all the common tasks. As your skills come up, your productivity can really take off.

If you are like 70-80% of chemical engineers, you went to the simulation course but never used the tool and never gained proficiency. Don't worry about any refresher training, just start using today and you will figure it all out pretty quickly.

What type of work you are actually doing now? If you don't work around significant process equipment, it will be extremely lame just simulating hypothetical stuff, and unlikely to really improve your skills. If you are working in a petrochemical industry with varied equipment then start using your Aspen-plus for as much as you can as described above. You should be able to get qualified for a design job easily.

best wishes,
sshep

I have heard of a program called Rapsody, does anyone have any experience with this and know how it compares to Aspen or
Hysys?

I'm mechanical but i agree, resume with experience might be more beneficial..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back