Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Process Water Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

crunchie12268

Mechanical
Jan 11, 2012
US
Hello,
Could anyone provide me with a design methodology that they used when selecting materials (pipe mainly) for a process water loop according to the B31.3 specification? I have a prcoess water loop that has been in service for 30 years that will soon be replaced, traditionally we would just replace the components with what came out because it served us well for 30 years. Although, the current system is made out of 1000+ft 3" copper and we cannot spend that kind of money. Can anyone help me understand the proper steps in determining a suitable replacement? I would like to use a 3" sch 40 buttwelded A36 pipe but I am worried about corrosion after so many years...

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Process water covers a lot of ground. What's in this water stream? Do you have any idea why copper piping was originally selected?

Copper actually does not have much corrosion resistance and is susceptible to erosion as well.

Water applications like this would normally use either ductile iron or PVC pipe. For industrial use, you may also consider using FRP or HDPE.

The Contractor that you use may have the materials to do this project or expertise with a particulare piping material. You should consult with the local Contractor. The layout of the piping system will also have some impact on the cost as well.

You probably will not obtain an acceptable service life if you just use plain steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back