Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Processor vs. CPU vs. Core for domain parallelization

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjd150

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2013
US
This is probably a trivial question but I'm confused by what exactly Abaqus means when it says "use multiple processors" in the job module. Here's what I'm confused about: I have two Intel Xeon CPU E5-2687W "processors", each with 8 "cores", so I'm wondering how exactly Abaqus distributes a job across these processors if I chose "2" for example. Does it mean its using 2 cores on one processor, or both processors but all 16 cores??

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I'm not wrong then like you mentioned each processor has 8 cores i.e. cpus. So you have to specify ABAQUS to use anything from 2-16 cores and not processors. Remember that ncpus=mpi i.e. number of cores/cpus must be same number as that of mpi processors.

ABAQUS will divide the problem into the specified number of domains, example: two processors and 8 cores each means 32 domains. It will divide into domains automatically.

Ok I think I get it now. Number of processors in Abaqus means number of "cores". Is there any advantage to specifying more domains than the number of cores being used? For example, since I have 16 cores available, the default value is 16 domains but why would I want to use 32?

My apologies, I calculated the number of cores wrong. But like you mentioned two processors and 8 cores each=16 cores/domains should be good. You cannot specify more number of domains than your actual number of cores available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back