Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procrastination and Internet-addicted 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dh328

Chemical
Dec 2, 2009
IR
Hi all,
I have a big problem in my life, that is procrastination. I spend too much time Internet surfing specially at work. Most of my working hours are spent surfing webcam sites. I decided too many times to relieve myself from this bad habit but no success. I always say I will start from tomorrow but I can't continue for more than one or two days. I read too many psychological books but no result. I think if I work more hard, I would be a pioneer person in my company, but I don't know how to make myself a passionate person. can anyone give me practical solution? please share your similar experience.
Sorry for my bad English writing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just like for my kids, there is a setting in your internet options where you can set your browser only to point to certain websites and won't let you surf. You will have to find out what key web sites you use for work (don't forget to add Eng-Tips) so that you can have access. And, maybe have somebody else put in the password so you can not change the settings. In this way, you have access to the sites you need and will not be tempted to visit those “webcam sites” (yeah ok whatever floats your boat LOL :+)) or surf.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

dh328,
Tell you what, tell us the following:
- your real name
- your bosses real name
- your bosses e-mail address
- your company's name

With this information, we will take action to give you all the help you need to stop your self-destructive conduct.

How is that for a deal? Okay, just kidding.

Like "rbulsara" said, "now do something about it!!!"

The answer is simple but not easy: stop it. When you slip, stop again. Don't make excessive threats or promises to yourself or beat yourself up for failing. Simply stop again.

Do reward yourself for succes (but don't use the internet as a reward).

Perhaps make a new hobby of adding your favorite webcam sites to your browser's content blocker.

Your employer will find out, if they don't already know.

dh328,

My employer logs internet activity. I doubt they pay a lot of attention to this, as they almost certainly have better things to do. It is not difficult to scan the logs looking for bandwidth hogs (video) and inappropriate sites.

Keep reminding yourself that you are being watched.

Critter.gif
JHG

First off, I have to say that my responding is defintely falling into the irony category.

maybe the procrastination is the root cause. If you were doing your job, instead of putting of doing it, you'd be busy with work, not with the internet. I'd suggest keep a running list of priorities and projects. At the beginning of each day, to the best of your ability, set targets for work to be completed, and schedule your work in 30 minutes increments. Try sticking to the work schedule and acheiving the goals you've outlined, rather than worrying about surfing the internet. At the end of the day, unless you've consumed copious amounts of bandwidth, or are looking at p0rn, most supervisors only care if you get your work done.

sounds to me like you're bored. maybe time to find a job that you are passionate about? it's really hard to create passion that isn't there. be true to yourself and do something you love.

Maybe this dh328's problem???
(from:
Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD or AD/HD) is a neurobehavioral[1] developmental disorder.[2] It is primarily characterized by "the co-existence of attentional problems and hyperactivity, with each behavior occurring infrequently alone" and symptoms starting before seven years of age.[3]

ADHD is the most commonly studied and diagnosed psychiatric disorder in children, affecting about 3 to 5% of children globally[4][5] and diagnosed in about 2 to 16% of school aged children.[6] It is a chronic disorder [7] with 30 to 50% of those individuals diagnosed in childhood continuing to have symptoms into adulthood.[8][9] Adolescents and adults with ADHD tend to develop coping mechanisms to compensate for some or all of their impairments.[10] 4.7 percent of American adults are estimated to live with ADHD.[11]

ADHD is diagnosed two to four times as frequently in boys as in girls,[12][13] though studies suggest this discrepancy may be due to subjective bias of referring teachers.[14] ADHD management usually involves some combination of medications, behavior modifications, lifestyle changes, and counseling. Its symptoms can be difficult to differentiate from other disorders, increasing the likelihood that the diagnosis of ADHD will be missed.[15] Additionally, most clinicians have not received formal training in the assessment and treatment of ADHD, particularly in adult patients.[15]

ADHD and its diagnosis and treatment have been considered controversial since the 1970s.[16] The controversies have involved clinicians, teachers, policymakers, parents and the media. Opinions regarding ADHD range from not believing it exists at all to believing there are genetic and physiological bases for the condition as well as disagreement about the use of stimulant medications in treatment.[17][18][19] Most health care providers accept that ADHD is a genuine disorder with debate in the scientific community centering mainly around how it is diagnosed and treated.[20][21][22] The American Medical Association concluded in 1998 that the diagnostic criteria for ADHD are based on extensive research and, if applied appropriately, lead to the diagnosis with high reliability.[23]

What is multi-tasking??

Just a nice way of saying you have ADHD or hyper-activity or whatever the phrase de jour is...

My Dad solved it with a kick smack on the butt...the nuns used rulers... Mom would scream... my employers thought I worked faster than anyone else...it goes on and on..

This problem was recently shown on television, and has its own technical name (for people who procrastinate by watching inappropriate streaming videos): procrasturbation.

DH328,

I've experienced what you are experienceing. I've gotten over it mostly, (I still spend too much time on eng-tips.com, but don't tell anyone.)

At the time I was suffereing from depression. I would highly recommend speaking with a heathcare professional. You may not even realize or understand the state of your mental health. I got depressed shortly after getting married. This sounds like it should be a happy time, but the truth is even positive life changes can cause depression because it is such a drastic change. A psycologist can evaluate your mental health, give you life strategies to improve it, and if you both feel it's a good idea prescribe (proscribe?) meds. I took an SSRI class drug for about 6 months and that got me over the hump and when I felt better I stopped. Hopefully that's all covered on you health plan.

I've never been a passionate guy about my work either. I'm a bit of a slacker. But I enjoy it and I get my work done. I've found that for me the procrastination comes when I'm supposed to be doing something that I don't know how to do or am unsure of what is expected of me. If it is something I know how to do I get down to it. I enjoy the work more when I feel my mastery of that task gets better. So now when I know I'm facing something where I expect to procrastinate I force it to the front of the pile and chug through at least a portion of it every day and leave the fun stuff like creating drawings to later.

These are just my thoughts. Good luck and keep working on overcomeing those most common tendancies.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

dh328:

You state:

"I think if I work more hard, I would be a pioneer person in my company, but I don't know how to make myself a passionate person."

Do you have the same concentration / distraction problems away from work? I ask because it affects my suggestions.

If the problem is confined to work, then chances are you are bored and under-challenged. Ask for or accept a challenge that simply doesn't afford you the time or the ability to allow your mind to wander. I recently accepted an assignment to do piping stress analysis on what I was told was about 150 isometrics over a period of six weeks. It turns out that the number of weeks didn't change, but the number of drawings became 600. I didn't have a lot of spare time to do much of anything else. In fact, in the last week, I came in on a Sunday morning and I didn't eat, sleep or even leave the building until the following Tuesday afternoon. If your work is challenging and interesting and there is enough of it, your day will disappear before your concentration does.

On the other hand, if this problem extends outside of the workplace, then (in my estimation) it is a classic sign of what could be the onset of depression. (i.e., "I am confused...I don't really like what I am doing but I don't know what else to do...".) In such case, a fully engaging and enjoyable hobby outside of work will probably ground you.

Regards,

SNORGY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back