Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Procrastination and Internet-addicted 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dh328

Chemical
Dec 2, 2009
IR
Hi all,
I have a big problem in my life, that is procrastination. I spend too much time Internet surfing specially at work. Most of my working hours are spent surfing webcam sites. I decided too many times to relieve myself from this bad habit but no success. I always say I will start from tomorrow but I can't continue for more than one or two days. I read too many psychological books but no result. I think if I work more hard, I would be a pioneer person in my company, but I don't know how to make myself a passionate person. can anyone give me practical solution? please share your similar experience.
Sorry for my bad English writing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I find it helpful if you find yourself getting into a routine to change things up. Aka, try changing your sleep habits, try waking up early and going on a run before work, try something different (hopefully healthier) for lunch, rearrange your desk....sometimes just changing your surroundings and daily routine along with resolve to stop a habit works.

I also find it interesting you come here to ask for advice about internet addiction. Take a look at how many times people log in and you'll get the idea. You are not alone.

If you'll stick with eng-tips.com, even when caught, just tell your boss you're making some research and let him read the forum comments. I don't think he'll get mad and you might even be commended for being resourceful.

Just kidding but half meant. Just stay focused I know you can overcome your situation.

Best of luck!!!

Are you giving the expected results? Do you produce what you're supposed to and a tad bit more?
If the answer is YES, then HAPPY SURFING!
If the answer is no, then.....

<<A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend
will be sitting beside you saying ” Damn that was fun!” - Unknown>>

This may be a place for obtaining engineering advice or recommendations, but probably not the best place for mental health advice. If you recognize a behavior that is self-destructive, then I would recommend seeking advice from a mental health professional.

I would say you are not alone. If you read the paper, you may have heard of highly paid and respected SEC lawyers, professional athletes, acotrs and prominent politicians that have gotten undesired publicity from self-destructive behavior.

You may want to take a look at the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM).

On the plus side, you took enough time away from the webcams to let us know you had an issue. On days when I find myself browsing I get up from my desk and find something else to do. If I am driving home after work, I like to know that I did something positive as opposed to waste 8 hours pissing around online or elsewhere.
You are an engineer, there's always an ECO to be done.

drawn to design, designed to draw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back