Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PROCTOR VALUES FOR DIFFERENT SOILS CLASSIFICATIONS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil/Environmental
Sep 27, 2009
CA
I WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH PROCTOR VALUES WE CAN CONSIDER FOR DIFFERENT KINDS OF SOIL CLASSIFICATION FOR EXAMPLE
CLAYES SILT
SILTY CLAY
CLAYEY SILT TRACE GRAVEL
SILTY CLAY TRACE GRAVEL
SANDY CLAYEY SILT TRACE GRAVEL
CLAYEY SILT WITH SIZE OF 20-75MM OF GRAVEL (NATIVE SOIL)
AND MORE CLASSIFICATONS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please turn off your caps lock when you post a question.

Your question is not really answerable. A moisture-density relationship (Proctor) varies even within soil classifications. It is a site-specific determination of the moisture-density relationship of THAT soil, not some other soil on some other site.

There are plenty of general references (Sowers, Lambe, and others) that give some generalizations of Proctor values with soil types, usually in a small table format; however, these are generalizations and should not be used for specific site conditions.

Also, you will have a standard Proctor being more applicable to some soils (clays, silts, etc.), while a Modified Proctor would be more appropriate to other soils (sands, gravels, etc.)

Why?

Is there some legal reason for knowing general data? Are you second guessing some lab? Are you hoping to avoid paying for some lab to do this testing? There are few short cuts to this sort of testing.

I've seen a local DOT attempting to go onto a job ahead of time and run a bunch of tests on "typical soil groups" hoping to avoid having to do the proctors on the job. It didn't work.

there is nothing typical about dirt. i'm quite certain you can find broad ranges for the materials you describe. those ranges are much too wide and non-specific to use for anything other than general knowledge/conversation. site specific testing at the time of the work is the only reasonable way to know something about what your test results are trying to tell you. even then there are oddball things that can/will come up. by the way, i think the range may be more like 75-155 pcf.

if you want general info, trying looking in a soil mechanics book or navfac/ufc or usace or google or your local testing lab or etc etc. good luck.

I agree with msucog - here in the eastern piedmont in North Carolina we see maximum dry unit weights in soil that range from roughly 80 pcf up to 135 pcf, and we have some well graded stone and soil mixes we use for roadbase that can get up to 155 pcf.

I am quite sure in other geologies you could get soils that are even lighter or heavier, though I think you can also start to see a trend here that you would never expect to find soils (and I mean non-organic material) much less than 70 or 80 pcf, or much heavier than 150 to 160 pcf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back