Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Product Recovery in Monitoring Wells

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvvenkat

Civil/Environmental
Mar 1, 2005
US
Can anyone suggest a good product (like socks, trap) to remove product from monitoring wells. Your information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JVVENKAT: By product I assume you mean some contaminent floating on the water. The best way to remove this is by a skimmer. The skimmers are usually controlled by air so they require a separate source of air. You will also need a container into which to pump the product. I do not recall who makes skimmers but a web search may be beneficial. If the product is dissolved in or solubalized in the water you will have to pump it out, water and all.

Regards
Dave

How much product are you looking at removing? If there is shallow layer soakies work, but if you have a substantial amount of product you can go with several different types of recovery systems. There are pumps that follow the water level and will pump out product. In order to better help you please give more info.

Thanks Mitchell, My thickness varies from 0.05 ft to 1ft. WI am looking for methods/sorbrite socks/traps that will remove product as and when it gets collected.

your reply is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Venkat.

should probably conduct a simple bail-down recovery test to see if you have any sustained recharge of LNAPL into the well. It may takes weeks for product to accumulate in the well again. Skimmer pumps are fairly expensive ($2,000 to $3,000 each) in addition to air supply, containment, materials handling, and O&M cost. 0.5 to 1.0 ft of free product is very minimal and is not representative of what may be occupying the soil pore space as a uniform product thickness. A simple oil adsorbent sock may do the trick. Also may be driven by regulatory view, risk to receptors, type of LNAPL etc...

Belts skimmers are simple (Abanaki is good source)
Top loading LNAPL skimmers by Xitech, QED, Blackhawk etc.. also are available.

If you have dissolved iron at your location be aware.

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back