Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Production company forging material certificates 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaanos

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2016
CA
Hi Team, I hope everyone is keeping well at the moment.

I have started a small company manufacturing hitch mounted bicycle racks and have had our first production run manufactured in China recently. We looked at sourcing locally but the numbers simply didn't work.

As part of our agreement we stipulated that material certificates would be required for all materials used in production. Half of these were provided when asked and the other half took the last month of chasing to get them. We have 12 and 8mm 6061-T6 plate and both certificates provided are literally identical with all the little marks on the page being in the exact same location, the stamp location is identical, etc. It is obvious one of these has been forged and I am kind of assuming both of them probably have been.

Same story with both of the stainless steel certificates, certain details like thickness, etc have been changed but everything else is literally identical, including the certificate number! We have stressed the importance of the materials being the correct grade as these components will be mounted to motor vehicles so any failure may result in serious injury or death. What do you suggest we do? I'm thinking we will have to send some samples off to get tested? I would like to do this in China before we pay for and have the items shipped + pay import and duty etc but am worried about how to go about doing this and making sure we actually get a representative sample from the factory. Perhaps the sampling company would come and physically select the sample at random from the packaged goods? Any recommendations or idea would be very much appreciated.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1dd78b5c-4412-49a1-840c-676f9dbbf547&file=Binder1.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Curious what the OP envisioned was going to happen when he started this venture.

There's not a lot of surprised faces in the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back