Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Production impact test plates -VIII UG-84(i)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWEng

Materials
Jul 18, 2015
US
I have come across some design engineers in some recent work that know relatively little about impact testing (unless PV Elite tells them so- and most of my experience is outside ASME VIII). But as I read UG-84, it seems that any time the base metal is not exempt from impact testing, that production test plates are required that meet the UG-84(i) requirements. All of the vessels have Category B joints. Am I missing any exemptions somewhere before I have to tell these people they should start doing production impact test plates whenever impact tests are required?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Review UG 84 ( i ). It'll refer you to several other paragraphs but with some careful reading it should be clear. If you have additional specific questions come back here but, I'd also suggest you consult with your AI.

Yeah, I've read UG-84(i)a bunch of times, and I'm clear on how to take them, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything on when they are required, which to me seems would be any time the base metal requires impacts (and thus the welds would also) and we have a category A or B joint. Our AI is quite new as well, so doesn't really know the impact testing rules very well either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back