Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRODUCTION OF LENSE USING PMMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

possibilita

Chemical
Jun 8, 2013
NO
pls could somebody give me some tips on the production of lense using polymethylmethacrylate as the base polymer?and a well formulated table will be appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps you should contact a PMMA manufacturer or PMMA lens manufacturer. I would presume that this is usually proprietary information.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

I've worked with PMMA and it's fine for some things. Keep in mind that if you are casting you will be working with a finished material that is not fully cross linked, which can lead to free radicals and interactions with oxygen. If you are injection molding then you need to find an optical grade PMMA. Tooling with these materials is very expensive and it is difficult/expensive to hold tolerances comparable glass optics. Have you considered using an optical grade silicone? I've found that some of the new injection moldable optical silicones have superior properties to thermal plastics and they are less expensive to tool. These materials are also great for prototyping. Clarity is same as PMMA, temperature range is up to 200 C and over, yellowing in UV is not a problem. I could go on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back