Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Proe in plastic design ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any where or site i can find some tips, tutorial or article on plastic design with proengineer especially those regrading to surfacing ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chris,
This is a topic very close to my heart. Unfortunately I have yet to find a good place and/or book that addresses using Pro/E Surfacing for the creation of Plastic parts. In particular, I have a need to use it for reverse-engineering Industrial Design models into fully surfaced files. We have had in-house training, and spoken to others that use Pro/E in this manner with limited success. Our best results seem to be working one-on-one with individuals experienced in the art. (Not easy to come by...)

If you have any luck I would love to hear about it. Also, if anyone has advice and/or websites that they could point me to that deal with turning scanned data into USEFUL Pro/E surfaces (as opposed to big, dumb lumps) I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
Bob Kerila, PE

We have recently been using a Romer arm to generate a point cloud from a solid piece (usually a worn ground engaging tool). Then a surface is generated, I believe by using splines. Finally a solid is made from this. I get involved after the solid has been generated at which time we make a scale model part for testing in a soil bin.

Several years ago I spend 4 hours with an expert creating just 1 of the many splines from points generated on a light table. We now let someone else do that part. It is an art.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back