Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ProE to SolidEdge 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

3dlogix

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2002
CA
I have a client that uses SolidEdge R11, we use R2000i/2000i2/2001. I would like the client to be able to reuse our ProE models (with Features and history) in SolidEdge. I don't want to export just STL or IGES.

Does anybody have some experience with this? I have heard of SolidEdge's "Feature Reconginer". Does this work well?

Your insights are appreciated as always.

Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Steve,

I've gone through this exact same thing a little over a year ago with Solid Edge and Pro/E.

The first hurdle is getting the files into Edge. STEP seems to be the best neutral format. However, if there are any little flaws in the Pro/E file to start with, Edge will choke, and you wont get anything.

Secondly, the size of the STEP file must not be too large. Resorces required by Solid Edge is around 100X the file size. So if the file is 50 Meg, the computer with Edge must have a minimum of 5 Gig of RAM and virtual memory combined. So keep the file size as small as possible.

Unless it has been changed, the feature reconginer in Edge can only be used on PARTS, at the time the parts are imported. Attempting to use the feature reconginzer on an assembly at the time of importing will cause the entire assembly to become a single part melded together. The feature reconginzer can only be used at the time the file are imported.

Don Shoebridge
Sr. Product Developement Engineer

Don,

Thanks for the info. Regarding SolidEdge, does the ProE model need to be saved as a STEP file? Or can SE read as a PRT file?

I am not worried about assemblies for now.

PS< ProePro, thanks for the links.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back