Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PROE vs Unigraphics vs Solidwoeks vs Catia 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMERYOUNOS

Mechanical
Sep 11, 2001
GB
I m a Design Engineer.Our company wanted to buy a new Software so which one is better PROE or Unigraphics or Solid works vs Catia.Currently we r using Mechanical Desktop , Pro E 2000 i.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Be pragmatic. The best way is to benchmark them. Ask each vendor to visit you and to make a demonstration, provide them with a typical assembly or component of yours and the problems you want to solve. References in your industry are also important.

Don't forget Solid Edge which is scalable to Unigraphics.

It is also an investment for the future of your company, ask for their vision, how they can help you to be more efficient and hence to make money.

I have 20,000 hours on Unigraphics (desgin, admin & instructor).

Over 1000 hours on Catia, Acad, Computer Vision, Cadam through years of design, admin contract engineering (mostly aerospace/defense).

I have about 13,000 ProE.

ProE blows away the rest, with considerations for overall cad system.

If not, why did the world follow the proe parametric world ProE derived & mastered.

DataJett

I use Unigraphics, ProEngineer and CATIA V4 and V5. All systems have their good and bad points. I my opnion, Unigraphics is the best. It is the most robust, most reliable and most flexible. You can use parametrics if you want to but if your work does not require parametrics then you don't have to use them. What is really more important is associativity (making changes and having the rest of your work update correctly). Without a doubt, Unigraphics is the easiest CAD tool to make changes and maintainn associativity. If something does go wrong it is also the easiest tool to trouble shoot and fix any problems. ProEngineer is a good tool but it is WAY too constraining. The biggest complaint about ProEngineer is that it's too confusing and too easy to design yourself into a corner. CATIA V5 is a good tool also but it is far too unstable. It has been developed for over 4 years and is still not ready for production use. You can ask many large companies trying to use it that question. I have never used SolidWorks. I know a lot of people like it. I would tend to stay away from it because it is not an integrated solutions meaning that it does not scale to my companies needs. My honest opinion is that Unigraphics is a fantastic choice of a CAD tool.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back