Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ProE WF4 , Drawing Issue 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aryanshome

Aerospace
Oct 7, 2009
US
Hi all,

I have WF 4 and I'm getting this wired issue with the Drawing. when I try to move views or dimensions, it's delaying the movement..kind of animation. To move view or dim, it it is taking around 5-10 seconds. and worst thing, it keeps on moving in that direction even after stopping your mouse movement, It is quite annoying.. Am I missing some config option here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can try changing the graphics config.pro option to win32gdi and the restart ProE. If the problem persist then it is definately an OpenGL graphics issue. As dgallup mentioned update your graphics drive and/or ensure you have a PTC certified graphics card.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Stephen Seymour, PE
Seymour Engineering & Consulting Group

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately that did not work. I have very good Graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS)
and updated driver. May be Windows Vista has this problem.

I looked through the PTC certified graphics cards, but I didn't see the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS anywhere. The link to the listing is here:

The problem could be that the graphics card you have isn't a certified card. Another work around is to goto Windows display properties dialog box (right mouse your desktop), click settings tab, click advanced button, now click the troubleshoot tab, and reduce the Hardware Acceleration incrementally until the problem you experience with ProE goes away. For non-certified cards I have typically found that you have to reduce the hardware acceleration to the point that the DirectDraw and Direct3D are disabled. While this may prevent the delay issue in drawing mode, the overal graphical look of your shaded model will not be so great.

One last option would be to check with the graphics card manufacturer and see if they have a certified driver for your card.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Stephen Seymour, PE
Seymour Engineering & Consulting Group

The newest driver is not always the best driver. Like seymours2571 said, look for a certified driver.

It may have something to do with your mouse driver too. There have been a lot of problems reported by people with various mice.

Guess what its working just fine now All I missed last time was rebooting ProE after changing config.pro option to win32gdi. its working perfect now. Appriciate your help guys, Thumbs up to ya all!!!

GeForce cards are designed for DirectX gaming graphics and are not certified for CAD applications. The QuadroFX series are OpenGL cards and are certified for CAD.

This does not mean that the GeForce series will not work, I have that same card in my Vista laptop, it just means that PTC, or any CAD vendor, will offer very limited support if you open a Helpdesk problem. They will tell you to try what you are doing on a certified machine configuration, then call back if you are still seeing the problem.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Running in graphics = win32gdi means you have effectively bypassed all the graphics acceleration in your card & the CPU is doing all the work. Your 3D work with complex parts & assemblies will probably suffer.

See if the config option lods_enabled is set to yes, the default.

I'm betting that it is at the default, and it cripples the performance on a good video card despite the fact that it is supposed to help video performance. It only helps low-powered card performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back