Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Professional behavior in the company with technicians 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Znjmech

Mechanical
Dec 19, 2016
IT
Hi All

If one engineer works as a calculation eng (R&D) but he needs to collaborate with the technician of the laboratory ( who seems to be not so much friendly with graduated engineers , even hostile) whom shows too much curiosity at the engineer's activity, to know what he is doing and how (formulas, files , methods, etc) which is finally discovered that is for the caution, if the engineer goes away, the won't miss something.
how much should the engineer be reserved about his methods etc to have his job, and how could he have a good work relationship with this type of technician, that listens to the engineering office manager, but not to the engineers?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JMO but I sure wouldnt want to work for any employer or supervisor that didnt want me in the lab. I have always helped build my own prototypes and the majority of lab setups, either written or read through every test procedure, and occasionally I have run the testing myself as well. If you don't know testing details how can you begin to analyze it?

I would be worried about an employee or company that felt it ok to trade an engineer in for a technician due to "being able to have software do it". I have heard some very strange explanations from technicians who were using engineering software for analysis and design.

Funny you should mention being displaced by software.
I campaigned vigorously for Pro-Engineer drafting/design software.
The company bought it.
They paid for it by discharging most of the engineers, including me,
and having designers drive the software.
Hey, it says 'Engineer', right there in the name.
The results are about what you'd expect.
Want to buy a formerly successful company?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Why would you NOT want to know why the doctor is prescribing that medicine?

Would you really want a family doctor that says "Here. Take one of these every morning" and won't tell you why?

I happily explain my work and why I'm doing various tests or inspections. I happily involve the millwrights, electricians, and programmers in the process of doing what I'm doing. No secrets. If there's a certain test that needs to be done, I explain how to do it and involve them in the process. If there's a problem that needs to be solved, I present the problem and ask for opinions from the people who are actually going to be building or fixing it. If they can have bugs or issues sorted out on their own before I get involved, that's a win all around.

In all my experience, the best designers and the best engineers are the ones that are regularly out on the shop floor and work together with the actual millwrights, electricians, and programmers who are making it happen. The ones that hide in their office NEVER do well.

I certainly ask a doctor what the medication is, what symptoms it treats, what symptoms may appear as a result of taking the medicine, etc.
If the doctor is unable or not willing to answer the questions I'll pay my co-pay walk out the door and find a more open doctor. It's my responsibility to take an active role in my health. Just as it is your responsibility and the technichian's responsibility to actively learn about each others roles in the projects and work together as a team. Perhaps he is unwilling to share because you are as well. There's no trust in your relationship.

It may behoove an engineer to take a different tact and open up to the tech, and even go to the tech for opinions when the engineer is stuck.

You'd be surprised at the fresh spin or magical shortcut an experienced tech could teach even to some of the most experienced of engineers.

Do you and this "technician" work for the same company? If so, I don't know why you would be reluctant to answer a technical question he may have. It may be a way to break the ice (for a lack of a better way to put it). In my time, I've talked designer/drafters heads off about technical issues when I am asked. Some just kind of smile (with a look that said: "Sorry I asked."), others ask follow up questions and thanked me for the info.

If you are worried he will replace you based on the info you give him.....well....a company that would replace a engineer with a technician doesn't value you anyway and it was probably going to happen anyway.

I would be worried about an employee or company that felt it ok to trade an engineer in for a technician due to "being able to have software do it".

Depends on the software. Many of us set up controlled simulations daily for junior engineers, techs, or even sales dweebs to run ad-infinitum to see if products will work given customers' inputs. Paying an engineer to do a technician's job is rather wasteful.

Wow, brutal thread. Most of the posts assume the technician is not an arrogant, chest pounding person. These people exist everywhere, especially if you are new. They always like to challenge the engineer. If he is this type, I would tell him very little, especially if I had been there a while. If not informing him leads to project failure or it affects the outcome, I would tell him. Otherwise, he's on his own. He will learn to respect you by your actions and decisions. Until then he won't no matter how much you tell him. If you are starting out, I would tell him a lot, just to try to develop the relationship, arrogance or not.

I have no patience for arrogance. I don't practice it although many engineers, technicians and electricians do. If you are guilty of the arrogance, try giving him some slack. If you are both arrogant, neither of you will make out in the end.

Pride is a dangerous thing in our profession and almost always leads to failure. This applies to engineers, technicians and electricians.

I agree with buzzp on how brutal this thread is to the OP. A couple of valid reasons for the technicians behavior were already put out by MkieHalloran and IRstuff. I will add my two cents in addition to those those.

What I gather from the OP's posts is the fact that he/she feels like she/he is being bird-dogged and second guessed by the lab technician. That is a tuff place to be if true. I've spent the last couple of years with some coworkers with similar inclinations. In my experience those inclinations come from their own fears of "having their job stolen." Work with them have patience, give them the information that they ask for, and do it with a smile. They will eventually begin to respect you, and value your opinion. It won't happen over night. They may still be territorial over some of the aspects of their job; let them be that way. The technician will not take your job. They were there before you, and very well may be after you, but will certainly not replace you. There is a reason your employer hired an engineer, and that is most likely because they have reached the limits where their designs can be improved by said technician. The fact that they haven't solver a known issue for over 10 years proves this point. If you can fix a problem like that, it is something that will be remembered for a long time.

A general note :
Lack of knowledge creates fear and possibly hostility.
Be generous in sharing knowledge - it will pay you back one way or another.

Znjmech and others, there is nothing more important in your engineering career than your ability to work well with others (some things may be equally important). You can be the most brilliant engineer in the company and the industry for that matter. You can even prove that other engineers (technicians, managers, etc.) were wrong, but that will not improve your career and your chances of getting ahead. Inability to get along well with others eliminates one from consideration for promotion, and puts them near the top of the list when layoff time comes.

I highly recommend starting with the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. Then work on improving your people skills from there.

Many threads in this section are brutal and they are the most instructive ones IMHO.

The sad fact of the matter is, the fresh-out-of-school engineer needs the seasoned technician much more than the other way around.
You need him to learn and understand what the heck is going on and to get things done.
From his perspective, you are just messing up his daily routine. (Stereotyping, OK).
Don't lose your flegm because of the pavlovian reactions of a frustrated technician.
20 years later, the company needs the seasoned engineer much more than a seasoned technician.
Until then, though, see all the advice above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back