Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Professional Dilemna 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jboucher50

Civil/Environmental
Jun 7, 2000
CA
This should be interesting. At least I hope so. I am a practicing professional engineer. I am currently employed by a small private consulting firm. My department consists of me and my boss. My boss is a good engineer with more than 30 years of experience, and is also a good teacher. I am for the most part happy where I am. However, I would like to work for a larger firm for both increased professional development oppurtunites and for career oppurtunities. So here is my dilemna, how do I tell my boss I want to leave. I obviously will professional and courteous and finish off my current projects, but I am still, for lack of a better word, afraid to give notice. I have a second interview with a prospective employer on friday. Has anyone else been in a similar position? How did you approach and handle the transition? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I appreciate your dilemma. For what its worth I would suggest you imagine yourself being your boss and the teacher he is.

What would he want for you? Work and projects are always there and one tends to perhaps neglect personal matters in favour of getting the job done. So be clear in what you want for yourself - are there not possibly opportunities in your present situation that will allow expansion - since you are there already you might be instrumental in driving that?

If you wish to move on and I gather you respect your present boss and setup I guess honesty is the best policy. Maybe start by talking to your boss about your own vision and dreams. The rest might fall into place quite naturally -

Good luck- let us know how you are doing.

Honesty is the best policy. In addition, it is professional to give plenty of notice so that your boss will have time to find someone else to do your job. He may not be happy with you leaving, but he knows that you must do what you must do. Don't mistake his unhappiness for disrespect; he knows how it is in the engineering biz.

jboucher50:

It's funny what a small world this is. I'm in the same situation with my current employer. This is my first job out of school and I want to have at least 2 years of work experience before changing jobs. When I get that experience, I am going to leave. I work for a VERY small engineering company with limited resources and opportunity for advancement. I am happy for the most part (everyone is very nice), but I want more (many of the things you mention).

I have talked to many people outside my office about what to do and the universal response is "do what's good for you" followed by "they (your company) will understand". I can appreciate your dilemma and offer the same (above) advice to you. The only way you are going to grow professionally is to challenge yourself. Honesty is definitely the best policy (although not always the easiest one!)

Good luck!

jproj

I personally would discuss this with your boss, and see if the company have a leave of absense policy. Most companies will allow you to leave your job for a specified amount of time without reprimand. I know an engineer that did this with our company on a 1 and a half year agreement. He started some company and moved to South America for a few years, then he decided it wasn't for him and returned without hitch. This would allow you time to consider working in diffrent envirnments with other people to see if you really want to take this step. I personally prefer our small utility, and would rather stay despite the lack of pay and benefits. If you are set on leaving, be honest, discuss with your boss how you feel, and give a good notice.

I believe that honesty is not the best policy, if you tell your present employer that you are unhappy working there for any reason, he will hold that against you. Bonus, pay rate, he is human and these do affect him. If he is a great guy and you and him have a great relationship then honesty might work. I work for a small company and anyone that says that money is not a major factor is either rich or not true to themsolves. Who in their right mind wouldn't like a bigger check, better hours, and all the perks that come with a better company. Notice how I said BETTER if the situation is better for you, go for it, ultimately it is you who is affected.
As a matter of fact I am going to be doing what you are talking about, I am switching jobs for all of the following: Better Hours, Better Pay, More Days off, Better Tuition reimbursement, Full Coverage Medical/Dental, Better 401K, and a seperate retirement plan.
Now I enjoy my present job, am I happy working with the people yes, but does any of this pay my bills,no!! Life is too short to be settling, take the big steps.

Hi,

It's not easy but,

Tell him that you need the same opportunity he needed some years ago. If he understands it, the thing is resolved, if not you don't have a good boss and you should leave him anyway.

Matrix

jboucher50

I agree with Matrix.

If your wishes cause a problem in your current job then its not that much of a loss.

As long as you are professional about it (notice, finish critical, work be available for follow up after you leave etc.)you shouldn't suffer any career harm.

The following up is critical. maintain contact with your current boss and make sure that your replacement knows that you are available for some advice. Call after about a week, they might need to know where you left the keys to a file cabinet or something like that. Its a major step in building your personnal network, which is critical.

Did you consider that the flip side might be true. Your boss only has lower level work available to assign to you, he might be afraid that you will want more money and he dosen't have the ability to pay you more because the work is only worth so much. He might be afraid that you will quit leaving with little notice.

Best is to discuss it honestly with your boss. Go off site if necesary. Ask him out for lunch or at least coffee. He might have some suggestions and be able to make some introductions.

If you handle it professionaly, you will not be hurt by changing jobs. Engineering is usually a fluid profession and sooner or later you and your boss will cross paths again. Best to be remembered as a professional.

Just asking the question shows some perception into human nature that often is lacking in us technical types. I have a good feeling about your future.

Good luck Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

One more piece of advise... don't start these conversations with your current boss until you have a firm offer in your hand from your "new" boss. Letting your current boss know that you are unsatisfied with the professional opportunities that he can provide, without having another job, is crazy. I understand that you want to move, but just make sure you have a place to move to before alienating yourself in your current posistion!

Good Luck and keep us posted!!!

I would like to thank everyone that responded to my question. Your thoughts and advice confirmed and encouraged me to make the move I wanted to. Yes, Honesty is the first consideration. With an offer letter in my back pocket and another interview scheduled, I approached my boss to discuss leaving. I have to say it was not as hard as I expected it to be. My old boss was dissapointed to see me leave, but he agreed that oppurtunities and experience with my 'current' employer were more important at this stage of my career. Everything was handled in a very professional manner, which I feel is a solid pat on the back for our profession. Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back