Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Professional Ethics in Engineering 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm willing to bet that any of you who have ever been in the New York CitiCorp Building are awfully glad that Bill LeMeasure was sober and sincere when he made his professional oath. Too bad the designers of the Kansas City Hyatt Regency never held the same committment.

In Canada we can choose between a wrought iron ring or a stainless steel ring. My original ring "shrunk" ;-) since graduation, even though it was stainless steel, and I had to replace it. At Camp 1, I was given the choice of iron or s.s.

You are supposed to turn in your iron ring when retiring and it is recycled to a new engineer. My grandfather has an original ring of iron. I chose to get a new ring for no particular reason.

Ken

does the ring set-off the today's hypersensitive metal detectors at airport security?

do medical systems engineers get a "surgical steel" ear-lobe piercing instead?

hope you enjoyed this "seinfeld" moment... brought to you by a lot of boredom...
cheers

saludos.
a.

Hi,
there's is no Ring tradition in New Zealand that I know of, although a Canadian mate of mine would be thrilled if we could start one. We get some ethics lectures in amongst the basic-accounting-and-management-practice papers but it's not regarded all that highly amongst my peers, which surely isn't the best start! (although J-I-T and Maslow's theory doesn't score highly either...)

Does anyone in the Australasian region have any precedents? I think I'll be writing to the US/Canadian Order guys as well. Where does one look for iron/stainless rings? Local jeweller/farrier/guy with lathe?

We do however maintain the proud tradition of "we are we are we are we are the engineers" with no tune and plenty of beer, and regular refreshers at our very own campus dive.
I for one wouldn't mind a touch more dignity in there somewhere! :)

one drink to cheer them all,
two drinks = no driving,
three drinks to bring them all, and in Shadows-bar we'll find them.
In mechanical engineering, where beer is usually near.

sorry, sometimes my cleverness overwhelms me.... delete that if you like. but no making money off it!!

back to the rings :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back