Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Professional ethics in posting and responding on Eng-tips 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

sms

Mechanical
May 10, 2001
US
Where are the ethical grey areas in posting an responding on Eng-tips? The discussion in this forum titled "My boss says to look the other way?" might be one example of a discussion that should not be taking place online in a public forum, where should the line be drawn in such online discussions?

Another example a few weeks back, someone had posted a question to mechanical engineering other topics about how to use a lawn mower engine to rig up a rope tow for skiiers in their back yard. Should we be giving advice to non engineers on such a thing? Especially if someone might get hurt? I didn't think so, so I red flagged it.

In gas compression engineering there is an ongoing discussion about how to rig up an air compressor to compress natural gas off the utility system so the guy will have a nice supply of welding gas. There has been lots of discussion on how to do it, and most of the posters have stated that it could be dangerous. I took some heat because rather than comment on the technical details of how to do it, I rudely just said it shouldn't be done, and yes I implied it was a stupid idea. So the heat was probably justified since I didn't handle it gently, but should we really be giving the guy ideas on how to do it and what to watch out for, when it is just a bad idea? Or I am being too sensitive?

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It was provided in a signature line above but not specifically mentioned (unless I missed it). The semi-official guidelines for the eng-tips site are here:
faq731-376

I don't see this situation exactly addressed although I notice:
Homeowner "do-it-yourself" posts are strongly Discouraged. This is not a purpose of the Eng-Tips.com fora and non-engineers should not substitute asking questions on this site for obtaining appropriate professional assistance.

One thing I have heard from the moderators, if in doubt go ahead and red-flag the post. You don't have the power to delete it, you are simply bringing it to the forum administrator's attention for them to consider. There is also a place on the red-flag screen to type comments, which you might use to clarify your level of concern about the post.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

I agree with red-flagging something that would be considered dangerous.

But on offensive comments, is it possible to delete just the offensive posting and not the whole thread?

Also send a reminder to the offender that the behavior will not be tolerated? Possibly let him/her edit their posting?

controlnovice,

The problem is that what is offensive to me may not be offensive to you, and visa-versa. Religion and politics are two areas which get red-flagged often, and for good reason; but are they actually dangerous? Those are also subjects where usually only the offending posts get removed, while the threads continue (unless they have a history of generating such posts).
While being able to edit ones own post would be nice, I can see how the consistency of the thread would be quickly lost. Maybe let it be edited until someone else posts? Only the last poster would be able to edit their post.
[peace]

For MedicineEng & JAE...

deadtopic2.gif

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Thank you I all I enjoyed the discussion. I have much to think about.....

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back