Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Professional Experience Letter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Builder604

Civil/Environmental
Jan 26, 2006
US
I started a new engineering firm about about a year and a half ago and am still working on drumming up business. I have considered sending some letters out to some architects in the area. Since my firm is still new I don't have a lot projects to highlight so I was wondering if it would be acceptable to include projects and my involvement in said projects that worked on at my previous employment? Of course I would note that they were projects that i worked on at said previous employment. Thanks in advance for any input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your previous employer is in the same area, that would result in free advertisement for them.

Maybe try, "Our staff has been involved with projects including the Death-Star, the Stairway to Heaven, and the lesser known slide to hell." Of course you should work your own word-smithing into that.

I haven't considered the free advertisement for them. I could just state my involvement in projects noting the projects were at my previous employment without stating the name of the firm?

You don't have to state the previous firm. Just be sure that your firm is not taking credit for the work.

XYZ Engineers worked on the new WTC buildings.

is completely different than

XYZ is staffed by highly experienced project managers and engineers. Our engineers have been involved with numerous high profile projects including the WTC building

If you include photos, only use photos within the public domain, or with permission.

A slightly different example - consider contractor bid requirements. The Contractor must have compete staff with X years of experience in <blank>. This does not mean the ABC Construction needs X years of experience in that particular niche. They can higher a foreman or superintendent and then claim that experience.

You can claim work you have done if you have done it. It just can't be represented as work your firm has done. No need to state which company you worked for when you "designed and oversaw construction of the....".

FWIW, a personal visit will be 1,000,000 times more effective than a mailer. A mailer can easily get intercepted and trashed by the receptionist.

Not to thread crap but I would be surprised the mailer would generate new revenue. If you are looking for new clients my recommendation would be to find a common connection and ask for an introduction. If it's the right introduction this will get your foot in the door.

This is how we complete nearly all of our "marketing" to new clients.

1)Make LinkedIn connections with the people you have worked with.

2) review the LinkedIn profiles of people in the firm you want to work with. Look for common connections.

3) ask common connection for an introduction.

This is now a legitimate targeted introduction that we have seen has a pretty good success rate. The design community travels in tight circles (IMHO) and its hard to break in without the right introduction.

I would keep the past work history off of your brochures. I do tell the potential client that I helped design the Death Star at my previous job.

It took us a few years to really get our foot in the door.

For a while I was emailing companies just to let them know we were here, I found them while reading an article about one of their projects. Nothing ever really came about it, except some back and forth from a few of the Architects. Being at the Cities and reprographic places is always a good way to run into potential clients. Briefly look at a plan on the counter and say oh wow cool plan, are you the Architect?

With few projects to highlight, just focus on the few, describe them in great detail, and make it seem like you have more work, but too busy to be describing everything. Our website started with our company name with one line of text. Then it went to what type of work we did and contact info. Then it slowly showed projects we were working on. I have no problem giving out other company names or even hinting the caller might want to give them a call as well. Funny how that works out.

B+W Engineering and Design | Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

Thanks for all the input and ideas! I know a face to face would be the best option but i was just thinking that i could get some letters sent out quicker and as the previous poster noted, get my name out there. Not expecting a lot but figure any potential exposure is better than no exposure. I'm not a natural salesman so that is an area that i need to work. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back