Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Professional Liability Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

coaleng

Structural
Oct 1, 2014
US
I have just started my own structural engineering firm and the insurance companies are quoting $15,000 to $25,000 a year for professional liability $1M coverage. And most wouldn't quote me because my revenue projections were below $100,000. if this typical? I am the only employee.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I started E+O was $3k/yr for $1MM coverage and $200k turnover. According to my broker, for structural engineers it should be 2.5-3.2% of turnover with a min of $3k premium.
-> Careful how you fill out your application form.

I pay $15k-$25k, but I'm in Oil & Gas not structural/civil. All of the policies that I've looked at are $/$k gross revenue. If your gross revenue is below $100k then the quotes I've gotten have been the maximum $/$1k times 100. As gross revenue goes above $100k then the $/$1k number goes down (and is the percentage that Glass talks about). I've never had anyone not quote when my expected gross was below $100k.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

I have only had three quotes. the local agents received quotes from Loyds London, Victor Schinnerer co., and Hull and co. I design foundations, steel structures such as coal preparation plants and conveying systems, some metal building foundations and forensic evaluations of steel structures. I was told by one insurance agent because "structural" was in the company name the quote would be higher than if I was just ABC engineering.

Coal dust and forensics might be what is driving this high figure. Ask your broker further...

Schinnerer is usually pretty reasonable from what I have seen. I would expect high quotes from Lloyds.

Do you design in a high seismic area?

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

msquared: Is forensics considered to be high risk? I would not have assumed so, but maybe it is.

Coal sounds like a red flag to me. I think the Centralia mine fires, explosions, shoring failures, massive industrial accidents, etc.

Structural is a higher risk category than architecture, meaning you will pay 3% of net fee rather than 2%. 20% is way out of line. I have been insured through Hudson for the last couple of years, and before than Liberty Mutual.

Ask Ron, but with forensics, I see a higher risk of potential involvement in litigation proceedings, whatever the type of involvement. Just guessing here...

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

coaleng...that's about in the ballpark. Depending on provider, I've paid between 15k and 25k.
I do mostly forensic evaluation; however, there are changes in my state's legislation that might make me re-think all of this. Morons in legislature!

Depending on the type of work you do, I recommend getting quotes through the ASCE program. The quotes we received were nearly half of quotes we got from other carriers. Its insured through Lloyd's of London, but I believe a special rate through ASCE.

Dont need to be member to get a quote. Do need to be one to purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back