Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Professional Memberships (UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TED7

Mechanical
Jan 17, 2011
GB
I'm currently a "Member" of the Institute of Engineering and Technology - about 80% of the way through applying for my Chartership (would be a PE 'equivalent' in the US I suppose but let's not open that can of worms).

I have however sort of lost interest in the very general scope of this particular institute and become far more interested in fatigue, structural integrity and joining technologies (I think I always was but just lacked exposure) and I'm considering transferring to The Welding Institute.

All three institutes are Engineering Council members and support Chartership (and Eur Ing, etc.) but I'm having a hard time deducing weather or not transferring to TWI would actually be of any benefit. Their facilities are closer to where I live and I can actually get there to use their library should I need it but other than that, their website doesn't offer any more than the IET or IMechE.

Is anyone actually a member of TWI and able to give me more of a summary other than "professional development, library access, and quarterly magazine"?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My background is machine design and instrumentation but I'm currently working on pressure vessel design/manufacture and plant life extension. It definitely crosses into structural engineering at times - maybe not so much civil. I do however come across a not-insubstantial amount of novel welding work, weld cladding, metallurgy, NDT etc. stuff I imagine ICE and IStructE would cover but in the wrong field / from the wrong angle (I never come across building design, anything made from concrete, etc.)

IET is certainly a strange home for Structural Integrity, Joining and Fatigue - Their (our) primary foci are Electrical/Electronic and Production.

A.

Zeusfaber - Career evolution! It was a relevant institution to the work I was doing at the time I applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back